Re: please review initial PO templates for cupt 2.5

Hi Justin, thank you for the review.

On 2012-04-03 21:07, Justin B Rye wrote:
> > #: console/cupt.cpp:114
> > msgid "finds a dependency path between system/package(s) and a package"
> > msgstr ""
>
> What does that mean?  What, in this context, is a "system"?

In this context "system" == "set of installed packages". Perhaps
"finds a dependency path between a package set and a package" would be
better?

> > "cleans unavailable from repositories archives from the binary package cache"
> > msgstr ""
>
> That's ungrammatical; I think you mean something like
>   "cleans packages from binary package cache if not available from repositories"

Fixed.

> > "for the package '%s' and the distribution '%s' several versions found: %s; "
> > "you should explicitly select by version"
> > msgstr ""
>
> Somewhat unnatural (but not ungrammatical) phrase order; it would be
> more normal to say something like:
>   "several versions found for package '%s' and distribution '%s': %s; "

Fixed.

> > msgid "pipe specification mode should be exact 2 characters"
> > msgstr ""
>
> Do you mean:                     should be exactly 2 characters"

Yes. Fixed.

> > #: lib/src/config.cpp:526
> > #, c-format
> > msgid "an attempt to get the wrong list option '%s'"
> > msgstr ""
>
> "Wrong" sounds as if it can somehow detect that I typed "-b" when I
> meant "-v".  Is this a list option that doesn't exist?  If so,
> s/wrong/invalid/. [...]

This case. Fixed.

> > msgid "no hash sums defined for the index uri '%s'"
> > msgstr ""
>
> This should usually be uppercase "URI", "URIs" here and elsewhere.

Fixed.

> > #: lib/src/internal/filesystem.cpp:164
> > #, c-format
> > msgid "the file '%s' does not exists"
> > msgstr ""
>
> Grammar error: s/exists/exist/

Fixed.

> > msgid "internal error: packages stay unconfigured: '%s'"
> > msgstr ""
>
> I'm not sure about this; does it mean that they "have been left"
> unconfigured?

Yes. Fixed.

> > #: lib/src/download/methodfactory.cpp:62
> > #: lib/src/download/methodfactory.cpp:118
> > #, c-format
> > msgid "unable to unload the dl handle '%p': %s"
> > msgstr ""
>
> What's a "dl handle"?  Should it be s/dl/download/?

It comes from a dynamic library loader, "libdl". Perhaps it would better
be "the dynamic library handle"?

> > msgid "download client: the download server socket is timed out"
> > msgstr ""
>
> Should that say that the "socket timed out" or that it "has timed
> out"?

Probably the former. Fixed.

> > "throwing away the duplicate version with different hash sums: package name: "
> > "'%s', version: '%s', thrown origin: '%s', origins left: '%s'"
> > msgstr ""
>
> I'm not sure what this is saying.  Why the definite article in "the
> duplicate version"?  Should "thrown origin" be "origin of discarded
> version"?

The background: the pair (package,version) is globally unique, each pair
may be provided by one or more origins. Hash sums must be the same
across the all origins, so when an origin provides the already known
pair (package,version) but declares different (from already known) hash
sums for it, the pair from this origin is discarded.

How would you say that? Based on your preliminary comments, perhaps,

"discarding a duplicate version with different hash sums: package: '%s',"
"version: '%s', origin of discarded version: '%s', origins left: '%s'"

?

C++/Perl developer, Debian Developer