Re: [BTS#658415] templates://golang-weekly/{golang-weekly-tools.templates} : Final update for English review

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 22:06, Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ondřej Surý wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 17:33, Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> That answers JBR's question, but not mine. ;-)  Do -weekly releases
>>> have some features enabled that are disabled in the stable releases?
>>
>> Yes, the current golang-weekly is substantially different from stable release
>> since upstream has refactored their build system.
>
> So the answer is "no, today's -weekly releases are essentially
> tomorrow's stable releases", right?  E.g., upstream says:
>
>  The release tag is given, less often, to those weekly releases that
>  have proven themselves to be robust.

Yup.

> I think it's great to have some weekly snapshots packaged, BTW.  What
> I am trying to understand is why that implies having two separate
> source packages.

Experimental is not suitable for weekly releases. Packages in
experimental doesn't get any attention.

It was the original idea to keep releases with "release" tag in
unstable and with "weekly" tag in experimental, but it was recommended
to me to just upload both to unstable and just keep -weekly from
testing.

O.
--
Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org>