Re: Modified debconf strings for dictionaries-common

Agustin Martin wrote:
> Suggested ispell strings look excellent to me, thanks.
>
> I am still thinking about wordlists strings. Since wordlists can also be
> used for things different from spell-checking, like password strength
> estimation, and there are more suitable tools for spell-checking, I would not
> put all strength in spell-checking.

You're right.

> I am thinking about

>  Please indicate which list of dictionary words the
>  "/usr/share/dict/words" symlink should point to.
>  Use "Manual symlink setting" if you want to handle that symlink
                                                      ^^^^
>  yourself.
>  .
>  The default wordlist can be changed at any time by running
>  "select-default-wordlist".
>
> which still seems to keep everything in a single screen in normal consoles.

I would (marginally) prefer "this" to "that" above, but otherwise it's
fine.

> I have also been thinking about something more explanatory, but it will need
> two screens in normal consoles (as already happens with ispell new prompt),

>  "/usr/share/dict" directory contains newline delimited lists of
>  dictionary words. They are useful for word search and basic
>  spell-checking, being "/usr/share/dict/words" the default wordlist
>  for programs like look.
>  .
>  Please indicate which wordlist the "/usr/share/dict/words"
>  symlink should point to. Use "Manual symlink setting" if you want to
>  handle that symlink yourself.
>  .
>  The default wordlist can be changed at any time by running
>  "select-default-wordlist".

Most users won't care that the wordlists are implemented in a
newline-delimited format, and the ones who do care can look! Likewise,
since the symlink chain starts from /usr/share/dict/words it's not
that hard to work out that the same directory holds the files you're
choosing between as ultimate targets.

Here's a slightly expanded version of your first version that
shouldn't overflow the screen:

   Please indicate which wordlist the "/usr/share/dict/words" symlink
   should point to. This will provide a simple list of dictionary words
   for basic spell-checking and word searches. Use "Manual symlink
   setting" if you want to handle this symlink yourself.
   .