Re: [LCFC] templates://wvdial/{wvdial.templates}

(maintainer: please see the query about supported devices)

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 10:49:48AM +0000, Justin B Rye wrote:
> Christian PERRIER wrote:
> > Quoting Jonathan Nieder (jrnieder@gmail.com):
> >>
> >> s/the modem/a modem/? (two times)
>
> At least in the short description, "a modem" would strike me as
> slightly odd ("pick a modem, any modem").  "The modem" implies it's
> uniquely identifiable just by being the only one attached to this
> computer.  Do we in fact know what wvdial would do if I had multiple
> modems installed?

I gather from the manual that it will handle multiple modems properly, by
creating multiple configuration entries. At dial-time, wvdial takes a
parameter controlling the choice of modem.

So we could say "... and configure the modem(s)?" - Justin, does "the" need
dropping there? and Christian, is there a status quo on using "(s)"?

> >> It would be nice to be more precise than that, and say "a modem
> >> attached by serial port, USB-to-serial adapter, or infrared link, a
>
> You might do that in the long description:
>   WvDial can automatically detect a modem attached by serial port,
>   USB-to-serial adapter, or infrared link, and create its
>   configuration file. This detection may cause problems with some
>   computers.
> Except that surely it can detect internal ones, too?  And if my modem
> *isn't* the kind it can detect then I'd much prefer to learn that from
> the package description, not here.

This would make sense, yes, but I don't know a definitive list of what does
or doesn't work. If the maintainer can fill that in, I'll add a paragraph
to the long description detailing it.

> >> One possible answer would be the tech support number.  Maybe
> >> s/to call the/to connect to your/?  Or
> >
> > Thou Shalt Not Use Possessive Articles..:-)
> >
> > OK, in that case, this is borderline. I don't think anybody reading
> > "your ISP" will think that I do own the ISP.
>
> You could even argue for "an".  But s/to call/to connect to/ makes
> sense.

Ack, included.

--
Jonathan Wiltshire                                      jmw@debian.org
Debian Developer                         http://people.debian.org/~jmw

4096R: 0xD3524C51 / 0A55 B7C5 1223 3942 86EC  74C3 5394 479D D352 4C51