Re: [RFR] templates://iptables-persistent/{iptables-persistent.templates}

On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 02:24:24AM +0000, Justin B Rye wrote:
> Jonathan Wiltshire wrote:
> > Justin B Rye wrote:
> >> Well, or during dpkg-reconfigure runs?
> >
> > No, not during dpkg-reconfigure nor upgrades (well, as of the next
> > release-to-be, anyway). This is so that the comment in the file, which
> > includes the date it was saved, isn't touched so the file isn't needlessly
> > modified.
>
> So when it asks whether I want to save the current rules, if I say
> no, do I get a way to change my mind later, or does it make the
> whole thing into a permanent no-op?

It's a permanent choice (unless the debconf database is tampered with or
the package purged and reinstalled). It's sole purpose is to capture the
current rules that the administrator clearly wants to use, more as a
safety-net against removing the current mechanism, rebooting or flushing,
and then cursing that all the rules are gone.

> [...]
> [...]
> >
> > I wonder about "mechanism for loading iptables/ip6tables rules on boot"?
> >
> > "on boot" feels awkward though, "during system startup" would make it
> > consistent with the templates.

> is definitely getting a bit wordy!  You could demote the mention of
> ip6tables into the long description.  An alternative approach:

Yes, this is much more concise. Thanks :)

--
Jonathan Wiltshire                                      jmw@debian.org
Debian Developer                         http://people.debian.org/~jmw

4096R: 0xD3524C51 / 0A55 B7C5 1223 3942 86EC  74C3 5394 479D D352 4C51