Re: [RFR2] Smuxi po templates

Hi,

No comments on any other strings than these that Justin commented.

On Saturday 21 November 2009, Justin B Rye wrote:

> >> What "get" means in this? Use? Find? Really download?
> >
> > It starts the ssh application and tried to read the version number from
> > it. If that fails for some reason the above error messages will be shown.
> > retrieve? parse? I don't know better terms for this one :)
>
> I suppose there's the alternative of phrasing it as something like:
>    "OpenSSH version not found (exit code: {0})\n"
> ...but I'm not sure it helps.

Hmm. I think I misread the string when I commented it. It would be more clear if
the first line would read (extending Justin's suggestion)

"OpenSSH version number not found (exit code: ${0})\n"

> >> Hmm. I don't understand what the string means. (Would make it hard to
> >>
> > > translate. ;-) Could it be rephrased?
> >
> > I know it's very technical, what about:
> > // TRANSLATOR: {0} is the name of the chat
> > Retrieving chat attendees of {0}...
>
> I've never seen the word "attendee" used outside the context of
> business functions and conventions.  (The word also has a more
> logical-seeming sense as "person served by attendants", but that's
> archaic.)
>
> I wouldn't use the word "chat" that way, either.  As a non-count
> noun, "chat" can refer to the communications medium; but "a/the
> chat" has to be in the sense of a conversation (probably offline).
> The "place" you go to for an online chat session isn't a "chat",
> it's a channel, group, chatroom, board, or whatever.  Maybe you
> should just leave it out.
>
> I'd suggest something like:
>   Retrieving channel residents of {0}...
>   Checking current population of {0}...
> or indeed
>   Performing census of {0}...

I wouldn't understand two of the Justin's suggestions either. :-) The first one
of those is the best IMHO.

How about:

Retrieving [list of] users on channel ${0}...

Edu

--
Esko Arajärvi - edu@iki.fi - +358-50-5446844
"Only idiots quote signatures." -Antti Kuntsi (at his .sig)