Re: [RFR2] Smuxi po templates

[Justin, I CCed you as there a question for you below, please read and comment]

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 22:37:50 +0200
Esko Arajärvi <edu@iki.fi> wrote:

> > #: ../src/Engine/FrontendManager.cs:219
> > msgid "no network connections"
> > msgstr ""
>
> Should the beginning be capitalized?

Agreed

> > #: ../src/Engine/Session.cs:396
> > msgid "[Engine Commands]"
> > msgstr ""
>
> This entry could use some comment for translators. What does it refer
> to? Is it for example shown in some field?

It's used as some kind of label or more category for a list of commands
below that line, I will add a translator comment and also remove the []
at the same time as that's formatting.

> > #: ../src/Engine-IRC/Protocols/Irc/IrcProtocolManager.cs:210
> > msgid "lag"
> > msgstr ""
> >
> > #: ../src/Engine-IRC/Protocols/Irc/IrcProtocolManager.cs:212
> > msgid "seconds"
> > msgstr ""
>
> These two look like they will be combined with a variable between. If
> this is the case please present them as one string with variable
> substitution. This because in some languages the order of words (and
> their form) may change because of the surrounding words.

Indeed, not sure why I hardcoded the order like this:
                result += String.Format(" ({0}: {1} {2})",
                                        _("lag"),
                                        (int) lag.TotalSeconds,
                                        _("seconds"));
I will change this to:
                result += String.Format(" ({0})",
                                // TRANSLATOR: {0} is the amount of seconds
                                String.Format(
                                    _("lag: {0} seconds"),
                                    (int) lag.TotalSeconds
                                )
                          );

> > #: ../src/Engine-IRC/Protocols/Irc/IrcProtocolManager.cs:1211
> > msgid "ban"
> > msgstr ""
>
> Capitalize?

Not in this case, its part of an output like this:
13:10:39 -!- 1 - #smuxi: ban *!*@123.123.123.123

> > #: ../src/Engine-IRC/Protocols/Irc/IrcProtocolManager.cs:1898
> > msgid "Nick"
> > msgstr ""
> >
> > #: ../src/Engine-IRC/Protocols/Irc/IrcProtocolManager.cs:1907
> > msgid "is already in use"
> > msgstr ""
>
> Here again combine these two.

This is a special case, the nick value can't be part of the _() string.

I added a comment:
            // TRANSLATOR: the final line will look like this:
            // -!- Nick {0} is already in use

> > #: ../src/Engine-IRC/Protocols/Irc/IrcProtocolManager.cs:2019
> > #, csharp-format
> > msgid "{0} [{1}] requested CTCP {2} from {3}: {4}"
> > msgstr ""
>
> Some explanation of the variables would be helpful.
>
> Also, if {0} should not be moved in any of these strings, please add
> the comment to each one of them. Otherwise, please add comment what
> it contains. :-)

It depends on the case, sometimes its allowed sometimes not. I will add
descriptions of the variables though to make it clear what it actually is.

                    // TRANSLATOR: {0}: nickname, {1}: ident@host,
                    // {2}: CTCP command, {3}: own nickname, {4}: CTCP parameter
                    // example:
                    // meebey [meebey@example.com] requested CTCP VERSION from meebey:

> > #: ../src/Frontend/SshTunnelManager.cs:366
> > #, csharp-format
> > msgid ""
> > "Couldn't get OpenSSH version (exit code: {0})\n"
> > "\n"
> > "SSH program: {1}\n"
> > "\n"
> > "Program Error:\n"
> > "{2}\n"
> > "Program Output:\n"
> > "{3}\n"
> > msgstr ""
>
> What "get" means in this? Use? Find? Really download?

It starts the ssh application and tried to read the version number from it.
If that fails for some reason the above error messages will be shown.
retrieve? parse? I don't know better terms for this one :)

> > #: ../glade/smuxi-frontend-gnome.glade.h:60
> > msgid ""
> > "The nickname to use. You can specify extra nicknames (separated by
> > spaces) " "which will be used as fallbacks when the first choice is
> > not available. By " "default $nick_ and $nick__ will be used as
> > fallback." msgstr ""
>
> Should the last word be "fallbacks"?

This is what Justin B Rye <jbr@edlug.org.uk> wrote, to me it doesn't look
correct either as there are 2 named nicks to be used as fallback.

Justin any comment on this?

> > #: ../glade/smuxi-frontend-gnome.glade.h:68
> > msgid "gtk-cancel"
> > msgstr ""
> >
> > #: ../glade/smuxi-frontend-gnome.glade.h:69
> > msgid "gtk-ok"
> > msgstr ""
>
> Are these really translatable strings? If yes, please provide some
> advice how to translate them.

Ups, those are stock buttons and not translatable :)

> > #: ../glade/smuxi-frontend-gnome.glade.h:70
> > msgid ""
> > "ss = second\n"
> > "mm = minute\n"
> > "hh = hour (01 - 12)\n"
> > "HH = hour (00 - 23)\n"
> > "tt = AM/PM\n"
> > "\n"
> > "dd = day\n"
> > "MM = month\n"
> > "yy/yyyy = year"
> > msgstr ""
>
> I would say "seconds", "minutes", and "hours".

Agreed

> > #: ../src/Frontend-GNOME/FindGroupChatDialog.cs:65
> > msgid "#"
> > msgstr ""
>
> Probably not translatable.

Agreed

> > #: ../src/Frontend-GNOME/Frontend.cs:414
> > msgid ""
> > "The frontend has lost the connection to the server.\n"
> > " Do you want to reconnect now?"
> > msgstr ""
> >
> > #: ../src/Frontend-GNOME/Frontend.cs:551
> > msgid ""
> > "The server has lost the connection to the frontend.\n"
> > " Do you want to reconnect now?"
> > msgstr ""
>
> Is the whitespace at the beginning of the second line intentional?

I don't think so, removed.

> > #: ../src/Frontend-GNOME/Views/Chats/GroupChatView.cs:233
> > #, csharp-format
> > msgid "Syncing chat persons of {0}..."
> > msgstr ""
>
> Hmm. I don't understand what the string means. (Would make it hard to
> translate. ;-) Could it be rephrased?

I know it's very technical, what about:
// TRANSLATOR: {0} is the name of the chat
Retrieving chat attendees of {0}...

> > #: ../src/Frontend-GNOME/Views/Chats/GroupChatView.cs:277
> > msgid " done."
> > msgstr ""
>
> This kind of whitespace in the beginning or end of a string most
> likely won't be correct in all translations. It's better to add them
> as untranslatable material. (This same applies also for whitespace
> after colons, before the variable, if the variable is not included in
> the string.)

OK, I moved the space outside the translation string.
                // TRANSLATOR: this string will be appended to the one above
                status += Sting.Format(" {0}", _("done."));

> > #: ../src/Frontend-GNOME/gtk-gui/Smuxi.Frontend.Gnome.ChatFindDialog.cs:92
> > msgid "_Match case"
> > msgstr ""
>
> "Case" capitalized.

Agreed

> > #: ../src/Frontend-GNOME/gtk-gui/Smuxi.Frontend.Gnome.ChatFindDialog.cs:104
> > msgid "Search _backwards"
> > msgstr ""
> >
> > #: ../src/Frontend-GNOME/gtk-gui/Smuxi.Frontend.Gnome.ChatFindDialog.cs:116
> > msgid "_Wrap around"
> > msgstr ""
>
> ditto.

Agreed

> >  ../src/Frontend-GNOME/gtk-gui/Smuxi.Frontend.Gnome.SteticPreferencesDialog
> > .cs:1627 msgid "<b> User List Position </b>"
> > msgstr ""
>
> In all the strings of this kind you could also mark only the text as
> translatable.

I don't think glade supports this, either the label text is
translatable (with all markup) or not.

> > #:
> >  ../src/Frontend-GNOME/gtk-gui/Smuxi.Frontend.Gnome.EngineAssistantConnecti
> > onWidget.cs:64 msgid "Use _SSH tunnel"
> > msgstr ""
>
> Capitalize "tunnel"?

Agreed

> > #:
> >  ../src/Frontend-GNOME/gtk-gui/Smuxi.Frontend.Gnome.EngineAssistantConnecti
> > onWidget.cs:101 msgid "localhost"
> > msgstr ""
>
> Probably not translatable.

LOL, good point :)

Fixed

> > #:
> >  ../src/Frontend-GNOME/gtk-gui/Smuxi.Frontend.Gnome.EngineAssistantIntroWid
> > get.cs:27 msgid ""
> > "Welcome to the Smuxi Engine Configuration Assistent.\n"
> > "You need to enter some information before you can use the
> > engine.\n" "\n"
> > "Click \"Forward\" to begin."
> > msgstr ""
>
> Assist_a_nt

Odd, this one was already fixed not sure why it wasn't updated in my
attached pot file.

> Cheers,
> Edu

Thank you very much for your review!