Re: [RFR] Smuxi po templates

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 20:17:05 +0000
Justin B Rye <jbr@edlug.org.uk> wrote:

> Mirco Bauer wrote:
> > Please find, for review, the po templates part of the smuxi source
> > package.
>
> Apologies for the lack of patch file.
>
> [Oops, and I forgot the CC:.  Here's a separate copy.]
>
> > smuxi-engine.pot:
> [...]
> > #: ../src/Engine/Session.cs:162
> > msgid ""
> > "After you have made a connection the list of available commands
> > changes, " "just use /help again."
> > msgstr ""
>
> I'm going to assume the final punctuation in these strings doesn't
> need to be consistent, but pedantically, that's a comma splice.  It
> either needs to be rephrased or more heavily punctuated - a
> semicolon would do.
>
>   msgid ""
>   "After you have made a connection the list of available commands
> changes; " "just use /help again."
>
> (As I say, though, this is a bit pedantic.  I'll continue to include
> low-priority punctuation-quibbles like this, but in parentheses.)

If using comma the way I did is not grammatically correct then I would
like to see it fixed :) I dislike the use of semi-colon though. I would
prefer to rephrase the sentence (like making two sentences instead) or
to use the dash you suggested.

What about:

msgid ""
"After you have made a connection the list of available commands
changes. Use the /help command again to see the extended command list."

> > #: ../src/Engine/Session.cs:499
> > #, csharp-format
> > msgid "Disconnect failed, could not find server: {0}"
> > msgstr ""
>
> (Again, strictly speaking that's a comma-splice.  I was thinking of
> using a colon, but that would be annoying for later strings, so:)
>
>   msgid "Disconnect failed - could not find server: {0}"

Agreed

> > #: ../src/Engine/Session.cs:544
> > msgid "Invalid paramater for config, use load or save"
> > msgstr ""
>
> Typo (s/mater/meter).  (And as usual, it's a comma-splice.)
>
>   msgid "Invalid parameter for config; use load or save"

Agreed

> > #: ../src/Engine/Session.cs:574
> > msgid "Invalid paramater for network, use list, switch or close"
> > msgstr ""
>
> Ditto.  (Oh, and as a bonus, Oxford comma:)
>
>   msgid "Invalid parameter for network; use list, switch, or close"

"or" gets an extra comma but "and" not? Funny language :-P

> > #: ../src/Engine/Session.cs:613
> > #, csharp-format
> > msgid "Network close failed, could not find network with host: {0}"
> > msgstr ""
>
> (As for the one on line 499:)
>
>   msgid "Network close failed - could not find network with host: {0}"

Agreed

> > #: ../src/Engine/Session.cs:647
> > #, csharp-format
> > msgid "Network switch failed, could not find network with host: {0}"
> > msgstr ""
>
> (Again:)
>
>   msgid "Network switch failed - could not find network with host:
> {0}"

Agreed

> ("Network switch" is ambiguous, but that's unavoidable.)
>
> > smuxi-engine-irc.pot:
> [...]
> > #: ../src/Engine-IRC/Protocols/Irc/IrcProtocolManager.cs:2395
> > #, csharp-format
> > msgid "You was kicked from {0} by {1} [{2}]"
> > msgstr ""
>
> That's a significant grammar error:
>
>   msgid "You were kicked from {0} by {1} [{2}]"

Ups :)

> > smuxi-frontend.pot:
> [...]
> > #: ../src/Frontend/EngineManager.cs:264
> > #, csharp-format
> > msgid "Unknown channel ({0}), only following channel types are
> > supported:" msgstr ""
>
> That's got both a comma-splice and a dropped article, which just
> about promotes it to worth fixing.
>
>   msgid "Unknown channel ({0}) - only the following channel types are
> supported:"

Agreed

> > #: ../src/Frontend/EngineManager.cs:273
> > msgid ""
> > "Registration at engine failed, username and/or password was wrong,
> > please " "verify them."
> > msgstr ""
>
> Double comma-splice, and a tricky point of number agreement (it
> would be "the username OR password WAS wrong" but "the username AND
> password WERE wrong" - the tiebreaker is that you refer to "them",
> which makes it more natural to say "were").  But what does
> "Registration at engine" mean, anyway?  I'm guessing:
>
>   msgid ""
>   "Registration with engine failed!  The username and/or password
> were wrong - " "please verify them."

Agreed

> > #: ../src/Frontend/SshTunnelManager.cs:147
> > msgid ""
> > "SSH client must be either OpenSSH (ssh) or Plink (plink.exe, _not_
> > putty.exe)" msgstr ""
>
> (I can see how a Debian user might be running /usr/bin/plink, but how
> would it have plink.exe?  Oh, and is it safe to use underscores like
> that?)

The same smuxi binary can be run directly on Linux or Windows through
the CLI virtual machine and thus I have explicit support for either
OpenSSH /usr/bin/ssh and Plink plink.exe in the same code flow.

Hm about the underscore usage... I am used to that for IRC. Maybe I
should simply remove the emphasis as it's used as part of an exception
message which can not use highlevel formatting codes (such as pango
markup).

> > #: ../src/Frontend/SshTunnelManager.cs:189
> > #, csharp-format
> > msgid ""
> > "SSH tunnel setup failed with (exit code: {0})\n"
> > "\n"
> > "SSH program: {1}\n"
> > "SSH parameters: {2}\n"
> > "\n"
> > "Program Error:\n"
> > "{3}\n"
> > "Prgram Output:\n"
> > "{4}\n"
> > msgstr ""
>
> Misplaced parentheses (just drop the "with") and one obvious typo
> (s/Prgram/Program/).
>
>   msgid ""
>   "SSH tunnel setup failed (exit code: {0})\n"
>   "\n"
>   "SSH program: {1}\n"
>   "SSH parameters: {2}\n"
>   "\n"
>   "Program Error:\n"
>   "{3}\n"
>   "Program Output:\n"
>   "{4}\n"

Agreed

> > #: ../src/Frontend/SshTunnelManager.cs:366
> > #, csharp-format
> > msgid ""
> > "Couldn't get OpenSSH version (exit code: {0})\n"
> > "\n"
> > "SSH program: {1}\n"
> > "\n"
> > "Program Error:\n"
> > "{2}\n"
> > "Prgram Output:\n"
> > "{3}\n"
> > msgstr ""
>
> This has the same typo.
>
>   msgid ""
>   "Couldn't get OpenSSH version (exit code: {0})\n"
>   "\n"
>   "SSH program: {1}\n"
>   "\n"
>   "Program Error:\n"
>   "{2}\n"
>   "Program Output:\n"
>   "{3}\n"

Agreed

> > #: ../src/Frontend/SshTunnelManager.cs:402
> > msgid "PuTTY / Plink requires a username to be set."
> > msgstr ""
>
> (That sort of spacing around slashes is usually discouraged in
> anglophone styleguides, but that's really too pedantic to bother
> with.  I'll ignore it here and below.)
>
> > smuxi-frontend-gnome.pot:
> [...]
> > #: ../glade/smuxi-frontend-gnome.glade.h:3
> > #: ../src/Frontend-GNOME/gtk-gui/Smuxi.Frontend.Gnome.SteticPreferencesDialog.cs:1372
> > msgid "<b> Entry Field </b>"
> > msgstr ""
>
> I spy a typo in the sourcecode ("Stetic"), but that's outside
> d-l-e's jurisdiction!

Hehe, nice catch but that's not a typo. The GUI designer is really
called "Stetic" in MonoDevelop :)

> > #: ../glade/smuxi-frontend-gnome.glade.h:14
> > msgid "Automaticly connect to server at startup"
> > msgstr ""
>
> Typo - s/icly/ically/.  Yes, English orthography is absurd.
>
>   msgid "Automatically connect to server at startup"

Agreed

> > #: ../glade/smuxi-frontend-gnome.glade.h:60
> > msgid ""
> > "The nickname to use. You can specify more that one nickname,
> > seperated by a " "space which will be used as fallback when the
> > nickname was not available. By " "default $nick_ and $nick__ will
> > be used as fallback." msgstr ""
>
> This needs some fixing up.  s/that/than/, s/seperated/separated/,
> but more importantly, the space isn't used as a fallback.  Come to
> that, nor is the one nickname - it's the extra nicknames that are
> used as fallbacks.
>
>   msgid ""
>   "The nickname to use. You can specify extra nicknames (separated by
> spaces) " "which will be used as fallbacks when the first choice is
> not available. By " "default $nick_ and $nick__ will be used as
> fallback."

Very nice!

> > #: ../glade/smuxi-frontend-gnome.glade.h:70
> > msgid ""
> > "ss = second\n"
> > "mm = minute\n"
> > "hh = hour (1 - 12)\n"
> > "HH = hour (0 - 23)\n"
> > "tt = AM/PM\n"
> > "\n"
> > "dd = day\n"
> > "MM = month\n"
> > "yy/yyyy = year"
> > msgstr ""
>
> (Does this really mean that it displays HH without padding?)

Uh, this is a good question, maybe I simply assumed it but maybe it's
not.

I checked the API documentation of the DateTime formatter. Good catch!
hh and HH both have a leading 0 for single digits.

The user usually wants the leading 0 else the timestamps would not
align in the output depending on the time.

Making it:

#: ../glade/smuxi-frontend-gnome.glade.h:70
msgid ""
"ss = second\n"
"mm = minute\n"
"hh = hour (01 - 12)\n"
"HH = hour (00 - 23)\n"
"tt = AM/PM\n"
"\n"
"dd = day\n"
"MM = month\n"
"yy/yyyy = year"
msgstr ""

> > #: ../src/Frontend-GNOME/EngineManagerDialog.cs:90
> > msgid "Select to which Smuxi engine you want to connect"
> > msgstr ""
>
> Use real-world English:
>
>   msgid "Select which Smuxi engine you want to connect to"

LOL, I always felt this one reads wrong but I couldn't really tell what
it was! As nobody complained I thought it can't be that wrong... So
much about that ;)

> > #: ../src/Frontend-GNOME/EngineManagerDialog.cs:196
> > #, csharp-format
> > msgid "Your frontend version ({0}) is not matching the engine
> > version ({1})!" msgstr ""
>
> A strange use of progressive.  Make it:
>
>   msgid "Your frontend version ({0}) does not match the engine
> version ({1})!"

Agreed

> > #: ../src/Frontend-GNOME/EngineManagerDialog.cs:223
> > msgid "Error occured while connecting to the engine!"
> > msgstr ""
>
> Typo: s/occured/occurred/.  And it can afford to include a definite
> article.
>
>   msgid "An error occurred while connecting to the engine!"

Agreed

> > #: ../src/Frontend-GNOME/Entry.cs:385
> > #, csharp-format
> > msgid "You are going to paste {0} lines, do you want to continue?"
> > msgstr ""
>
> A comma-splice between a statement and a question.
>
>   msgid "You are going to paste {0} lines. Do you want to continue?"

Agreed

> > #: ../src/Frontend-GNOME/Views/Chats/GroupChatView.cs:233
> > #, csharp-format
> > msgid "Syncing chat persons of {0}..."
> > msgstr ""
>
> The problem with the abbreviation "sync" (as opposed to "synch") is
> that it logically results in "syncing", as here; and that looks as
> if it should rhyme with "wincing".  But I don't dare change it here
> because that's likely to result in inconsistency.
>
> > #: ../src/Frontend-GNOME/gtk-gui/Smuxi.Frontend.Gnome.EngineAssistantIntroWidget.cs:27
> > msgid ""
> > "Welcome to the Smuxi Engine Configuration Assistent.\n"
> > "You need to enter some information before you can use the
> > engine.\n" "\n"
> > "Click \"Forward\" to begin."
> > msgstr ""
>
> Typo - s/Assistent/Assistant/.
>
>   msgid ""
>   "Welcome to the Smuxi Engine Configuration Assistant.\n"
>   "You need to enter some information before you can use the
> engine.\n" "\n"
>   "Click \"Forward\" to begin."

Agreed

> > #: ../src/Frontend-GNOME/gtk-gui/Smuxi.Frontend.Gnome.EngineAssistantNameWidget.cs:120
> > msgid ""
> > "<span size=\"small\">If enabled this makes the current engine the
> > default " "when starting Smuxi next time</span>"
> > msgstr ""
>
> (That's a slightly awkward way of putting it, but I don't know if it
> really needs changing.  Maybe:)
>
>   msgid ""
>   "<span size=\"small\">If enabled, the current engine will be the
> default " "next time Smuxi is started</span>"

This sounds good to me :)

> > smuxi-frontend-gnome-irc.pot:
>
> No problems.

Wow, I managed to not apply proper engrish to the IRC channel commands?
Darn! :-P

Thanks a lot for your review!

Should I now wait for more reviews or prepare and send a RFR2 already?

--
Regards,

Mirco 'meebey' Bauer

PGP-Key ID: 0xEEF946C8