Re: [RFR] Smuxi po templates

Mirco Bauer wrote:
> Please find, for review, the po templates part of the smuxi source
> package.

Apologies for the lack of patch file.

> smuxi-engine.pot:
[...]
> #: ../src/Engine/Session.cs:162
> msgid ""
> "After you have made a connection the list of available commands changes, "
> "just use /help again."
> msgstr ""

I'm going to assume the final punctuation in these strings doesn't
need to be consistent, but pedantically, that's a comma splice.  It
either needs to be rephrased or more heavily punctuated - a
semicolon would do.

  msgid ""
  "After you have made a connection the list of available commands changes; "
  "just use /help again."

(As I say, though, this is a bit pedantic.  I'll continue to include
low-priority punctuation-quibbles like this, but in parentheses.)

> #: ../src/Engine/Session.cs:499
> #, csharp-format
> msgid "Disconnect failed, could not find server: {0}"
> msgstr ""

(Again, strictly speaking that's a comma-splice.  I was thinking of
using a colon, but that would be annoying for later strings, so:)

  msgid "Disconnect failed - could not find server: {0}"

> #: ../src/Engine/Session.cs:544
> msgid "Invalid paramater for config, use load or save"
> msgstr ""

Typo (s/mater/meter).  (And as usual, it's a comma-splice.)

  msgid "Invalid parameter for config; use load or save"

> #: ../src/Engine/Session.cs:574
> msgid "Invalid paramater for network, use list, switch or close"
> msgstr ""

Ditto.  (Oh, and as a bonus, Oxford comma:)

  msgid "Invalid parameter for network; use list, switch, or close"

> #: ../src/Engine/Session.cs:613
> #, csharp-format
> msgid "Network close failed, could not find network with host: {0}"
> msgstr ""

(As for the one on line 499:)

  msgid "Network close failed - could not find network with host: {0}"

> #: ../src/Engine/Session.cs:647
> #, csharp-format
> msgid "Network switch failed, could not find network with host: {0}"
> msgstr ""

(Again:)

  msgid "Network switch failed - could not find network with host: {0}"

("Network switch" is ambiguous, but that's unavoidable.)

> smuxi-engine-irc.pot:
[...]
> #: ../src/Engine-IRC/Protocols/Irc/IrcProtocolManager.cs:2395
> #, csharp-format
> msgid "You was kicked from {0} by {1} [{2}]"
> msgstr ""

That's a significant grammar error:

  msgid "You were kicked from {0} by {1} [{2}]"

> smuxi-frontend.pot:
[...]
> #: ../src/Frontend/EngineManager.cs:264
> #, csharp-format
> msgid "Unknown channel ({0}), only following channel types are supported:"
> msgstr ""

That's got both a comma-splice and a dropped article, which just
about promotes it to worth fixing.

  msgid "Unknown channel ({0}) - only the following channel types are supported:"

> #: ../src/Frontend/EngineManager.cs:273
> msgid ""
> "Registration at engine failed, username and/or password was wrong, please "
> "verify them."
> msgstr ""

Double comma-splice, and a tricky point of number agreement (it
would be "the username OR password WAS wrong" but "the username AND
password WERE wrong" - the tiebreaker is that you refer to "them",
which makes it more natural to say "were").  But what does
"Registration at engine" mean, anyway?  I'm guessing:

  msgid ""
  "Registration with engine failed!  The username and/or password were wrong - "
  "please verify them."

> #: ../src/Frontend/SshTunnelManager.cs:147
> msgid ""
> "SSH client must be either OpenSSH (ssh) or Plink (plink.exe, _not_ putty.exe)"
> msgstr ""

(I can see how a Debian user might be running /usr/bin/plink, but how
would it have plink.exe?  Oh, and is it safe to use underscores like
that?)

> #: ../src/Frontend/SshTunnelManager.cs:189
> #, csharp-format
> msgid ""
> "SSH tunnel setup failed with (exit code: {0})\n"
> "\n"
> "SSH program: {1}\n"
> "SSH parameters: {2}\n"
> "\n"
> "Program Error:\n"
> "{3}\n"
> "Prgram Output:\n"
> "{4}\n"
> msgstr ""

Misplaced parentheses (just drop the "with") and one obvious typo
(s/Prgram/Program/).

  msgid ""
  "SSH tunnel setup failed (exit code: {0})\n"
  "\n"
  "SSH program: {1}\n"
  "SSH parameters: {2}\n"
  "\n"
  "Program Error:\n"
  "{3}\n"
  "Program Output:\n"
  "{4}\n"

> #: ../src/Frontend/SshTunnelManager.cs:366
> #, csharp-format
> msgid ""
> "Couldn't get OpenSSH version (exit code: {0})\n"
> "\n"
> "SSH program: {1}\n"
> "\n"
> "Program Error:\n"
> "{2}\n"
> "Prgram Output:\n"
> "{3}\n"
> msgstr ""

This has the same typo.

  msgid ""
  "Couldn't get OpenSSH version (exit code: {0})\n"
  "\n"
  "SSH program: {1}\n"
  "\n"
  "Program Error:\n"
  "{2}\n"
  "Program Output:\n"
  "{3}\n"

> #: ../src/Frontend/SshTunnelManager.cs:402
> msgid "PuTTY / Plink requires a username to be set."
> msgstr ""

(That sort of spacing around slashes is usually discouraged in
anglophone styleguides, but that's really too pedantic to bother
with.  I'll ignore it here and below.)

> smuxi-frontend-gnome.pot:
[...]
> #: ../glade/smuxi-frontend-gnome.glade.h:3
> #: ../src/Frontend-GNOME/gtk-gui/Smuxi.Frontend.Gnome.SteticPreferencesDialog.cs:1372
> msgid "<b> Entry Field </b>"
> msgstr ""

I spy a typo in the sourcecode ("Stetic"), but that's outside
d-l-e's jurisdiction!

> #: ../glade/smuxi-frontend-gnome.glade.h:14
> msgid "Automaticly connect to server at startup"
> msgstr ""

Typo - s/icly/ically/.  Yes, English orthography is absurd.

  msgid "Automatically connect to server at startup"

> #: ../glade/smuxi-frontend-gnome.glade.h:60
> msgid ""
> "The nickname to use. You can specify more that one nickname, seperated by a "
> "space which will be used as fallback when the nickname was not available. By "
> "default $nick_ and $nick__ will be used as fallback."
> msgstr ""

This needs some fixing up.  s/that/than/, s/seperated/separated/,
but more importantly, the space isn't used as a fallback.  Come to
that, nor is the one nickname - it's the extra nicknames that are
used as fallbacks.

  msgid ""
  "The nickname to use. You can specify extra nicknames (separated by spaces) "
  "which will be used as fallbacks when the first choice is not available. By "
  "default $nick_ and $nick__ will be used as fallback."

> #: ../glade/smuxi-frontend-gnome.glade.h:70
> msgid ""
> "ss = second\n"
> "mm = minute\n"
> "hh = hour (1 - 12)\n"
> "HH = hour (0 - 23)\n"
> "tt = AM/PM\n"
> "\n"
> "dd = day\n"
> "MM = month\n"
> "yy/yyyy = year"
> msgstr ""

(Does this really mean that it displays HH without padding?)

> #: ../src/Frontend-GNOME/EngineManagerDialog.cs:90
> msgid "Select to which Smuxi engine you want to connect"
> msgstr ""

Use real-world English:

  msgid "Select which Smuxi engine you want to connect to"

> #: ../src/Frontend-GNOME/EngineManagerDialog.cs:196
> #, csharp-format
> msgid "Your frontend version ({0}) is not matching the engine version ({1})!"
> msgstr ""

A strange use of progressive.  Make it:

  msgid "Your frontend version ({0}) does not match the engine version ({1})!"

> #: ../src/Frontend-GNOME/EngineManagerDialog.cs:223
> msgid "Error occured while connecting to the engine!"
> msgstr ""

Typo: s/occured/occurred/.  And it can afford to include a definite
article.

  msgid "An error occurred while connecting to the engine!"

> #: ../src/Frontend-GNOME/Entry.cs:385
> #, csharp-format
> msgid "You are going to paste {0} lines, do you want to continue?"
> msgstr ""

A comma-splice between a statement and a question.

  msgid "You are going to paste {0} lines. Do you want to continue?"

> #: ../src/Frontend-GNOME/Views/Chats/GroupChatView.cs:233
> #, csharp-format
> msgid "Syncing chat persons of {0}..."
> msgstr ""

The problem with the abbreviation "sync" (as opposed to "synch") is
that it logically results in "syncing", as here; and that looks as
if it should rhyme with "wincing".  But I don't dare change it here
because that's likely to result in inconsistency.

> #: ../src/Frontend-GNOME/gtk-gui/Smuxi.Frontend.Gnome.EngineAssistantIntroWidget.cs:27
> msgid ""
> "Welcome to the Smuxi Engine Configuration Assistent.\n"
> "You need to enter some information before you can use the engine.\n"
> "\n"
> "Click \"Forward\" to begin."
> msgstr ""

Typo - s/Assistent/Assistant/.

  msgid ""
  "Welcome to the Smuxi Engine Configuration Assistant.\n"
  "You need to enter some information before you can use the engine.\n"
  "\n"
  "Click \"Forward\" to begin."

> #: ../src/Frontend-GNOME/gtk-gui/Smuxi.Frontend.Gnome.EngineAssistantNameWidget.cs:120
> msgid ""
> "<span size=\"small\">If enabled this makes the current engine the default "
> "when starting Smuxi next time</span>"
> msgstr ""

(That's a slightly awkward way of putting it, but I don't know if it
really needs changing.  Maybe:)

  msgid ""
  "<span size=\"small\">If enabled, the current engine will be the default "
  "next time Smuxi is started</span>"

> smuxi-frontend-gnome-irc.pot:

No problems.