Re: [RFR] templates://jack-audio-connection-kit/{jackd.templates}

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 07:36:19PM +0100, Jonathan Wiltshire wrote:

> >     To run jackd with realtime priority, the user starting jackd
> >     needs realtime permissions. Accept this option to create the
> >     file /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf, granting realtime
> >     priority and memlock privileges to the audio group.
>
> Agreed, and I've just noticed the original template talks about
> /etc/security/limits.conf and /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf
> interchangeably, which I'm sure can't be right.
>
> Adrian, which should it be? I'm fairly sure from postinst that it's
> the latter.

It depends. ;) In the original template, I wrote "This is usually
accomplished by tweaking rtprio and memlock in
/etc/security/limits.conf".

That's true, it could be done in this file, however, PAM supports
multiple config files in /etc/security/limits.d/, and Debian prefers
splitted config files (e.g. amavisd, exim a.s.o.)

That's why I decided to provide a separate file, which is also
recommended by the libpam maintainer. (to be precise, we agreed not to
put it in limits.conf, which would affect all users, also those who'll
never need it. And due to the imposed security risk...)

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=535090 contains some
hints.

Since this directory isn't widely used, most tutorials talk about
/etc/security/limits.conf, and we're the first mainstream distribution
who is going to use /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf instead.

In other words: *we* use /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf.

HTH

PS: See <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=507248> for
the *whole* story, there's the rationale.

--
mail: adi@thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP/GPG: key via keyserver