Re: Help to improve new package (djmount)

MJ Ray wrote:
> Dario Minnucci (midget) <debian@midworld.net> offered:

Hang on, that's a verb phrase.  We need "a utility to...", but
that's too long (and I'm not convinced by "MediaServers content").
Borrowing from other FUSE packages I'd suggest

...depending on whether you want to start intelligible and then get
technical or vice versa.  I'm going for the first just because it
reduces the amount I need to reshuffle.

>>  djmount is a UPnP AV client. It mounts as a Linux filesystem the media content
>>  of compatible UPnP AV devices.
>
> I think UPnP AV should be expanded on first use.  I think I can guess
> what they are, but not it's better not to need to guess.
>
> The second sentance maybe should be "It mounts the audiovisual content
> of compatible UPnP AV devices as a Linux filesystem."

Yes.  Mind you, given that it only runs on Linux (via FUSE - so is
that "Architecture: any" correct?), I'm not sure what else it could
mount something as.  Oh, and we've been standardising on two-word
"file system".

>>  .
>>  Djmount discovers automatically all UPnP AV Media Servers on the network, and
>>  make the content available in a directory tree. All shared files (e.g. Audio
>
> "make" should be "makes".

Inconsistent sentence-initial capitalisation of djmount; avoid the
issue where possible.  Also, "automatically discovers", not vice
versa.  Oh, and MediaServers doesn't have a space; and you've told
us twice that it mounts the remote content as a file system, so
shuffle the things it does into logical order.  Explain AV earlier
(and more accurately); and finally don't claim that files are
"directly visible" (for non-cyborgs).  So:

  This package provides a client for Universal Plug'n'Play (UPnP)
  Audio-Visual MediaServers. It automatically discovers all compatible
  UPnP AV devices on the network, and mounts their media content as a
  file system using FUSE.
  .
  The shared media files are made directly accessible in a directory
  tree and can be played using your favorite media player.

I'm a lot less picky with man pages - people reading a man page
have probably already been using the command and know roughly what
it's all about.  MJ's right, though, no space before colon in
English.

>> .SH OPTIONS
>> These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long
>> options starting with two dashes (`-').
>> A summary of options is included below.
>> For a complete description, see the Info files.
>>
>> .TP
>> .B \-h, \-\-help
>> print this help, then exit
>>
>> .TP
>> .B \-\-version
>> print version number, then exit
>>
>> .TP
>> .B \-o [options]
>> mount options (see below)
>>
>>  \-d[levels]  enable debug output (implies \-f)
>>  \-f          foreground operation (default: daemonized)

Something wrong with the roffage here - I think you need .TP .B
before the -d and -f options too.  And if you moved them up to be
placed alphabetically before -h, you'd have -o next to its list of
mount options.