Re: Help to improve new package (djmount)

Justin B Rye <jbr@edlug.org.uk> wrote:
> [...] Oh, and we've been standardising on two-word "file system".

In general, I agree with Justin B Rye's points, but for this I ask:
Why???  Generally, compound nouns tend to become single words and
"Filesystem Hierarchy Standard" shows the one-word version is in
common usage.

Searching l10n-english archives suggests that we've inherited the
split-word version from the debian-installer team.  :-(
http://lists.debian.org/debian-l10n-english/2007/06/msg00150.html

It doesn't look like it was considered there with much reasoning:-
http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2005/02/msg00420.html

Can we ask D-I to modernise their usage, please?

> [...] Also, "automatically discovers", not vice versa.

Leading adverbs make phrases harder to understand because it is not
yet clear what action is being done when one reads "automatically".

Ignoring the above filesystem thing, I suggest this rephrasing:-

   This package provides a client for Universal Plug'n'Play (UPnP)
   Audio-Visual MediaServers.  It discovers all compatible UPnP AV
   devices on the network automatically and mounts their media content
   as a file system using FUSE.

Hope that helps,
--
MJR/slef