Re: Problems in the po file you sent for translation

On Monday 22 June 2009 22:50:03 Arthur de Jong wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-06-22 at 21:59 +0300, Esko Arajärvi wrote:
> > First thing I noticed was that all the non-ascii characters were
> > replaced by question marks (?) in the po file. This is probably due
> > some accidental character conversion at some point. Please be careful
> > to retain the original character set of each file.
>
> Thanks for pointing this out. Luckily this is limited to the fi.po file.
> I have checked all other translations and they are correct. This seems
> to have happened when I imported the file into my repository. In any
> case a corrected fi.po file is attached.

Ok, thank you.

> > The second issue concerns the new ldap-reqcert template which should
> > have translatable choices. This is achived by putting two underscores
> > before the Choices line. I would also split the last part to its own
> > chapter. So, the correct form would be:

> As long as db_get returns the English names I'm fine with whatever seems
> to be most commonly used. I must point out though that these values are
> literal values that end up in the configuration file under the
> tls_reqcert option. This option is based on the option with the same
> name in ldap.conf so it may be more commonly known to people configuring
> the package than the translated names.

English originals from the template file are returned as nobody could expect you
to parse all the possible translations. :-) I would still suggest that these are
set translatable using the form of my first email. If we give the options in
same language as the explanations, people can understand them even if they are
just going to ldap world for the first time. On the other hand, people familiar
with the ldap.conf options should not have hard time mapping those to these
(especially with the explanations next to them).

> > I'm not sure whether the choices of the libnss-ldapd/nsswitch should
> > be translatable also, but I vaguely remember that this was discussed
> > earlier and that they shouldn't be. I copy them here below so that
> > others can easily give their opinion.

> For me personally, if there would be translated strings here (e.g. if I
> would use the Dutch templates) that would confuse me a lot. But again,
> I'm fine with whatever is most commonly used (I don't use the
> translations myself).

As others pointed out, let's leave these as they are.

Cheers,
Edu