Re: Again: "metapackage", "meta package" or "meta-package" (Was: Accepted cdd 0.5.3 (source all))

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008, Ben Armstrong wrote:

Either meta-package or metapackage would be fine.

So no cons against metapackage but several pros.  I will try to

    s/meta[- ]package/metapackage

in all texts I'm responsible for and commit that the lintian check
is a good thing.

Maybe we should be calling them more mainstream like "task packages",
"requirements packages" or something like that instead?

Good luck getting people to follow suit.

Well there was another voice that our terminology is not optimal.
But I think this is another topic.  We just talked about spelling
of a term we are using for a long time - so we should fix the
spelling first.  Later we could discuss proper naming of

   metapackages
   tasks
   Custom Debian Distributions (which is the most boring missnamer [2])

Thanks for your input

         Andreas.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-custom/2008/07/msg00009.html
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/CDDNamingProposals