Re: Again: "metapackage", "meta package" or "meta-package" (Was: Accepted cdd 0.5.3 (source all))

On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 12:52:24 +0100
MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> [...]
> > > I'm keeping
> > > Ben Armstrong in CC who is a native speaker and he used in the Debian
> > > Junior packages the spelling "meta package".

Possibly influenced by a lazy tendency to refer to them just as "metas"
colloquially rather than a conscientious adherence to the rules of the
language.

> At best, "meta package" would be a two-word noun, not an adjective and
> a noun.  (Compare with "the Yugoslavia report" which is a valid noun.)
> In line with the various style guides that argue that compound nouns
> become hyphenated and then eventually become single words, I'd write
> it as "metapackage".

Either meta-package or metapackage would be fine.

> Maybe we should be calling them more mainstream like "task packages",
> "requirements packages" or something like that instead?

Good luck getting people to follow suit.

Ben