Re: Proofreading/understanding consultants/libobi.wml

Quoting MJ Ray (mjr@phonecoop.coop):

> Well, I thought I've heard of free schools as a particular type of
> school, and free education as the more general context of them, but I
> might have imagined that from French or read it somewhere in EU stuff
> (which often contains translatese).

In France "free schools" (écoles libres) means *private* schools, ie
non governmental schools (they're therefore "free" from governmental
'influence'). This *very* often means schools managed by religious
institutions.

Of course, for old "mécréants" like me, htat means these so-called
free schools are anything but free..:-)

> [...]
> >    in conditions of social insecurity.
> >
> > "En situation de précarité" is French sociopolitical jargon, which
> > as far as I know doesn't have a standard English translation.
>
> I think I've seen "in precarious situations" and "in vulnerable
> communities" if that means what I think it means.  However, it's not

That's the closest, yes. And, yes, this is sociopolitical jargon..:)