Re: [RFR] upgrade-advisor

Franklin PIAT wrote:
[...]
>> I'm sure there's a better way of putting that, but I'm not seeing it.
>> The best I can manage is "Test the system after the upgrade, then
>> display hints\n for emulating a freshly installed system."
>
> I think that "emulating" isn't completely accurate.

True, its technical sense is misleading.

> "Test the upgraded system to list optional steps to make it identical to
> freshly installed system."
>
> Instead of "identical", I have been thinking of "similar" but it isn't
> accurate either...

"Equivalent"?  "To make it {mimic,resemble,match} a freshly
installed system"?  "To list hints for improving its similarity to a
freshly installed system"?  So many possibilities, none of them
quite satisfying.

>> By the way, _is_ aptitude recommended over apt-get this time?  I
>> seem to remember people saying that it looked as if apt-get might be
>> better at handling Etch->Lenny.  Or was that a nightmare?

Probably a nightmare inspired by the discussion for bug 489132.