Re: [RFR] fex package

Giuseppe Iuculano wrote:

It isn't just a web based service, it's a web service, implemented
as a set of Perl CGI-scripts.  (So shouldn't the package have a
"Depends: apache2 | httpd" field?)

Make it a "service for transferring" them (here and below).

>  F*EX (Frams' Fast File EXchange) is a service to send big (large, huge, giant)
>  files from a user A to a user B, anywhere on the internet.

With a few fossil exceptions, names like this possessivise regularly
with 's: Gus's aunt, Louise's hat, Frams's Fast File EXchange.

The consensus seems to be that Internet takes a capital I.

>  .
>  The sender uploads the file to the F*EX-server and the recipient automatically
>  gets a notification e-mail with a download-URL.
>  .
>  Main features of F*EX
                        ^:
>  .
>   * file transfer of virtually unlimited file size

(Even if my web server has a 1GB hard drive?  Since when has there
been a file size limit for SMTP, anyway?  And does this F*EX
transfer really go over the net uncompressed and unencrypted?)

>   * recepient and sender only need an e-mail program and a web browser - of any
      recipient
>     kind, they do not have to install any software
          ^
Comma splice; I'd reorganise it into something like:
    * sender and recipient only need an e-mail program and a web browser
      (of any kind; they do not have to install any software)

>   * RESEND and REGET for resuming after link failures at last sent byte
>   * auto-notification of recipient
>   * auto-deletion after download
>   * auto-deletion after expiration date (default: 5 days)
>   * full-users can create sub-users, who can send only to this full-user
>   * maintenance-free: no admin interaction necessary besides creating new F*EX
>     accounts

Wait, what's all this about needing to interact with the server's
admin?  If installing this package gives me a F*EX server, doesn't
that mean _I_ am the admin?  So from my point of view it's:

    * maintenance-free: no administration necessary beyond creating new
      F*EX accounts

>   * Sending to multiple recipients needs storage on the server only once
      sending

"Once" doesn't eliminate the possibility of "several at once".

    * multiple recipients only require one stored copy

(Isn't this self-evident from the whole upload/download mechanic?)

>   * F*EX is a HTTP web-service and needs no firewall-tunnels
           is an HTTP service                 firewall tunnels
or just        uses HTTP

(In which case you may find that the recipient's workplace blocks
access to the URL.)

>   * support for streams, too (SEX : Stream EXchange)
                                   ^
That word belongs right up next to the colon.

>   * for real UNIX users, there are the shell programs fexsend and fexget to
>     avoid annoying web browser usage

In these days of MacOS X, "real UNIX" user != shell user.  Say:

    * shell clients provided for commandline users: fexsend and fexget.

(I need to install the server to get these clients?)

So that's:

 F*EX (Frams's Fast File EXchange) is a service for transferring big (large,
[...]
  * F*EX uses HTTP and needs no firewall tunnels