Re: Description for libwhisker2-perl

OoO  En ce début  d'après-midi ensoleillé  du lundi  24 mars  2008, vers
15:53, Justin B Rye <jbr@edlug.org.uk> disait:

> Okay.

> <rant mode=futile>
>  I've never understood how a Perl module can have a canonical name
>  that isn't the namespace identifier of the Perl-package, especially
>  when it isn't a CPAN tarball or Debian package name either.  Why is
>  "lib" part of the name?  If they want it to be called Whisker, why
>  didn't they just set it up so that you "use Whisker"?  And yes, I
>  remember being particularly annoyed when I first encountered LWP
>  a.k.a. libwww-perl; "use WWW" would even be easier to type!
> </rant>

In this  particular case,  there is a  program called whisker  that uses
libwhisker. This may explain why lib is part of the name.

> All of those kinds of name are like filesystem paths: fixed strings
> which might need to be quoted as input to case-sensitive scripts,
> and which are therefore commonly allowed to resist sentence-initial
> capitalisation.  But "libwhisker" if it's a separate label is a
> proper noun (like "Perl") which you'd expect to be capitalised, or
> at least to obey the normal punctuation rules for English sentences
> (compare "van der Hulst", which becomes "Van der Hulst" in initial
> position).

So Libwhisker ? Or LibWhisker as you first proposed to help to know that
we should type "use LW2".

>> This  package provides  libwhisker 2  (LW2), a  flexible,  portable and
>> compact  Perl module implementing  fast and  small replacements  to the

> s/compact/self-contained/

>> usual HTTP  testing functions, as available in  LWP, URI, HTML::Parser,
>> MIME::Base64, etc without any external dependency.

> In principle "etc." needs a stop, but lets say "and so on".

> That has to be "...dependencies", or preferably:

>    MIME::Base64, and so on with no external dependencies.

> Except libnet-ssleay-perl for SSL, that is?

You are  right. Since we replace compact/contained  by self-contained, I
can remove this part of the sentence :

 This  package provides  LibWhisker 2  (LW2), a  flexible,  portable and
 self-contained Perl module implementing  fast and small replacements to
 the  usual   HTTP  testing  functions,   as  available  in   LWP,  URI,
 HTML::Parser, MIME::Base64, etc.

 It supports:
    - HTTP 0.9, 1.0, and 1.1;
    - persistent connections (with keep-alives);
    - proxying;
    - anti-IDS features;
    - SSL (through libnet-ssleay-perl);
    - chunked encoding;
    - basic and NTLM authentication.

Thanks for your input.
--
I WILL NOT FILE FRIVOLOUS LAWSUITS
I WILL NOT FILE FRIVOLOUS LAWSUITS
I WILL NOT FILE FRIVOLOUS LAWSUITS
-+- Bart Simpson on chalkboard in episode 5F21