Re: Description for libwhisker2-perl

Vincent Bernat wrote:
> Can someone proofread the description of libwhisker2-perl:

A slightly unusual way to put it, but why not.  I could argue that
there was some redundancy in "lib*-perl" and "Perl module", but it
doesn't do any harm.

>  libwhisker is a flexible, portable and contained Perl module
>  implementing fast and small replacements to the usual HTTP testing
>  functions, as available in LWP, URI, HTML::Parser, MIME::Base64, etc.

"Contained" isn't the word you're looking for (it means "reticent,
restrained").  Perhaps "compact"?

Isn't this libwhisker2, not libwhisker?  Though come to that, what
is it exactly that bears this name?  The .pm is "LW2", the .deb is
"libwhisker2-perl".  It would be helpful if this was mentioned
somewhere, perhaps as

    This package provides libwhisker2 (LW2), a flexible, portable
    and compact Perl module [...]

I'm avoiding the sentence-initial lowercase "l", since it's not
clear that it's the sort of name that's entitled to disobey the
ordinary capitalisation rules.  (Indeed, why isn't it LibWhisker2?)

>  libwhisker :
             ^
No space before the colon.  And why name it again?

>   * can communicate over HTTP 0.9, 1.0, and 1.1
>   * uses persistent connections (keep-alives)
>   * has proxy support
>   * has anti-IDS support
>   * has SSL support (through libnet-ssleay-perl)
>   * can handle chunked encoding
>   * has basic and NTLM authentication support

You could phrase all of these as "supports foo", and factor it out,
something like this:

   It supports:
    - HTTP 0.9, 1.0, and 1.1;
    - persistent connections (with keep-alives);
    - proxying;
    - anti-IDS features;
    - SSL (through libnet-ssleay-perl);
    - chunked encoding;
    - basic and NTLM authentication.

(That's the bulleted-list style we've been standardising on.)