Re: Description for libwhisker2-perl

Vincent Bernat wrote:
> Justin B Rye <jbr@edlug.org.uk> disait:
>>> libwhisker is a flexible, portable and contained Perl module
>>> implementing fast and small replacements to the usual HTTP testing
>>> functions, as available in LWP, URI, HTML::Parser, MIME::Base64, etc.
>
>> "Contained" isn't the word you're looking for (it means "reticent,
>> restrained").  Perhaps "compact"?
>
> It  is upstream  wording. This  means "no  external  dependencies". What
> other word could be used?

Oh, "self-contained".  I should have guessed that.

>> Isn't this libwhisker2, not libwhisker?  Though come to that, what
>> is it exactly that bears this name?  The .pm is "LW2", the .deb is
>> "libwhisker2-perl".  It would be helpful if this was mentioned
>> somewhere, perhaps as
>
>>     This package provides libwhisker2 (LW2), a flexible, portable
>>     and compact Perl module [...]
>
>> I'm avoiding the sentence-initial lowercase "l", since it's not
>> clear that it's the sort of name that's entitled to disobey the
>> ordinary capitalisation rules.  (Indeed, why isn't it LibWhisker2?)
>
> Upstream call it libwhisker 2.x.

Okay.

<rant mode=futile>
 I've never understood how a Perl module can have a canonical name
 that isn't the namespace identifier of the Perl-package, especially
 when it isn't a CPAN tarball or Debian package name either.  Why is
 "lib" part of the name?  If they want it to be called Whisker, why
 didn't they just set it up so that you "use Whisker"?  And yes, I
 remember being particularly annoyed when I first encountered LWP
 a.k.a. libwww-perl; "use WWW" would even be easier to type!
</rant>

All of those kinds of name are like filesystem paths: fixed strings
which might need to be quoted as input to case-sensitive scripts,
and which are therefore commonly allowed to resist sentence-initial
capitalisation.  But "libwhisker" if it's a separate label is a
proper noun (like "Perl") which you'd expect to be capitalised, or
at least to obey the normal punctuation rules for English sentences
(compare "van der Hulst", which becomes "Van der Hulst" in initial
position).

>  This  package provides  libwhisker 2  (LW2), a  flexible,  portable and
>  compact  Perl module implementing  fast and  small replacements  to the

s/compact/self-contained/

>  usual HTTP  testing functions, as available in  LWP, URI, HTML::Parser,
>  MIME::Base64, etc without any external dependency.

In principle "etc." needs a stop, but lets say "and so on".

That has to be "...dependencies", or preferably:

   MIME::Base64, and so on with no external dependencies.

Except libnet-ssleay-perl for SSL, that is?