Re: Description for pycha

OoO Lors  de la soirée naissante  du jeudi 03 janvier  2008, vers 18:07,
Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> disait:

> I'd recommend dropping the mention that this is Python-based as well
> as "simple" and "package". I also think that the design goals can be
> shrinked in one sentence.

> Finally, I don't think the second paragraph adds much value to the
> package description.

>  This package provide programs to draw most common charts (pie, line,
>  bar) using Cairo as backend. The programs are designed to be
>  lightweight, simple to use, be customizable but still peorviding sane
>  default settings.

I think that we miss the fact that this is a python library. This is not
for  "simple" end users  but for  users that  know a  bit of  python. By
peorviding, you mean "providing"?

>From the suggestion of Justin,  if I drop "simple" from the description,
I  just get "chart  drawing library"  for description.  I can  then tell
"chart drawing library using Cairo". Cairo may be technical, but:
 - this is a dev package
 - for me,  Cairo is a modern technology and having  it mentioned in the
   description tells me that I will get some nice features automatically
   (antialiased fonts and lines for example).

I mean, if I do "apt-cache search python chart", I get:

python-gdchart2 - Python OO interface to GDChart
python-gdchart2-doc - Python OO interface to GDChart - docs
python-pychart - Python library for creating high quality charts
python-pygooglechart - Complete wrapper for the Google Chart API
python-reportlab - ReportLab library to create PDF documents using Python
python-pycha - chart-drawing library

Which one  should I  use? I suppose  that python-pygooglechart is  to be
used  online.  One  less.  python-reportlab  seems to  output  only  PDF
documents. I  want PNG.  The first  one is using  GDChart which  is very
flexible but a bit old-looking  (fixed fonts, no aliasing). So, I have :

python-pychart - Python library for creating high quality charts
python-pycha - chart-drawing library

Description of python-pycha don't help me much. Adding simple don't help
much too.  Adding "using Cairo" gives  a great hint. I could look at the
long description of  python-pychart to see that it  is using ghostscript
to generate PNG  and may be a bit  heavy for a webapp, but  I could just
stop on the buzzword "cairo". ;-)

Mixing your proposition with the one from Justin gives:

Package: python-pycha
 This package provides  a Python library for drawing  most common charts
 (pie, line,  or bar) using  Cairo as backend.  It aims to be  simple to
 use,  flexible,  lightweight,  attractive  and customizable  but  still
 providing sane default settings.

Thanks for the input.
--
#if 0