Re: [RFR] templates://fltk1.1/{libfltk1.1-dev.templates}

Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> writes:

> Simplify the sentence structure by removing the semi-colon.

That's a reasonable suggestion; I admit to using semicolons more
heavily than I probably should (though I generally limit myself to one
per sentence!).  Accepted.

> Use passive voice instead of discouraged use of first person.

I tend to find passive constructs ("... is recommended" in this case)
awkward; perhaps "... is advisable"?

> Reformulate the question as a separate paragraph so that users have a
> clear idea of what's being asked.

Good idea.  Accepted.

> 1) Use a "common description - specific description" style for the
> synopsis. Ditto for all other packages

In the case of fluid, I was trying to make the acronym's provenance
more explicit.  I'm willing to go either way on that one, though.

> 2) Use a common paragraph for all packages, describing what is
> FLTK. Avoid "very nice" in it as this is not really factual..:)
>
> "LGPLed" could be avoided too. After all, the licence is already given
> in debian/copyright.

I think I may have inherited the phrasing from the previous
maintainer, and would be happy to drop both modifiers.  (Incidentally,
I'd otherwise write "a*n* LGPLed ...", as I pronounce it
ell-gee-pee-ell, not ligpil. :-)

> The second paragraph is specific for each binary package. We use the
> "This package provides...." style

I could have sworn I'd once read advice on writing descriptions that
recommended *avoiding* words like "package" except when actually
describing something related to package management, so as to reduce
false positives when searching for the latter.  I can't find it
anymore, though, and concede that it's probably a lost cause, and less
important now that we have tags.  Regardless, Policy 3.4 suggests
front-loading the description, so I'd prefer to keep common text at or
near the end.

> Use the "standard" enumeration style.

I hadn't realized there was one; will do.

Thanks for the review!

http://www.mit.edu/~amu/ | http://stuff.mit.edu/cgi/finger/?amu@monk.mit.edu