Re: [RFR] templates://auctex/{auctex/templates}

Justin B Rye <jbr@edlug.org.uk> wrote:

> Frank Küster wrote:
>>>
>>> GNU Emacs only (and looking at the docs it seems to be TeX/LaTeX and
>>> probably not much else).
>>
>> There's a ConTeXt mode now, too. And Doc mode, which isn't really LaTeX.
>
> My patch didn't alter the "TeX/LaTeX/ConTeXt/Texinfo" anyway.

Yes, but I was answering to your comment, not your patch, anyway ;-)

>>> Its dependencies imply this package is useful even with no version
>>> of emacs installed, but I suspect that again it's specific to GNU
>>> Emacs.
>>
>> That's not true, it simply tweaks TeX so that it generates a document
>> with tiny one-image-pages from your formulas, section headings, figures
>> etc., and those images can be displayed anywhere (e.g. in a html
>> document created from the same source).
>
> I don't see how these can both be right.  It (a) exists to allow
> previewing in Emacs but (b) doesn't need to suggest any emacsen?

Yes, both are corret. It (a) was created because someone wanted
previewing in Emacs, but (b) it can do much more, even things completely
unrelated to Emacs. For previewing, you need images of parts of your
typeset document, but with this kind of images you can do much more.

Still, the previewing doesn't work well with XEmacs, but that's a
question of preview.el, not preview.sty (and preview.el is not in the
latex-preview package).

>>> It would be really helpful to know whether in fact there are any.
>> [...]
>>>     This package provides style files that enable previewing of equations
>>>     or figures in supported LaTeX environments. It combines folding with
>>>     in-source previewing to give a true WYSIWYG experience in the source
>>>     buffer without sacrificing control. This utility comes with its own
>>>     manual.
>>
>> s/equations or figures in supported LaTeX environments/equations,
>> figures or other LaTeX environments/.
>
> Ah!  So "environments" means different types of output?

Not exactly.  An environment is something like <title>Some Text</title>
in html, and often used for long "things", in contrast to a command
(which doesn't have a counterpart in correct html AFAIK) which gets its
single argument directly afterwards: \textbf{important} typesets
"important" in bold face. In principle, you can do previewing with all
of them, but it's mostly done with equations and figures (which happen
to be implemented as environments) - and with some special environments
or commands in special documents, like source code listings and such.

> Thanks for
> the fix.  Of course, this means the word is being used in a TeXnical
> sense here and more normally in the auctex package description (an
> "integrated environment for writing" TeX).  That should be okay,
> shouldn't it?

Yes, two different senses are used.  And I think, too, that this is
okay:  The general sense in the short description and at the beginning,
the TeXnical sense later on.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster