Re: Request for English debconf template review

Sorry for continuing to monopolize this list... :)

On Sun, Sep 02, 2007 at 07:58:41PM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Sven Joachim (svenjoac@gmx.de):
> > Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> writes:

> > > So the good news is that out of 5 translations (covering multiple language
> > > families) I've gotten in now for these debconf templates, all of them fit
> > > within the one-page limit except for German (heh).

> > It should be noted, however, that _none_ of them fits both the
> > introductory help text *and* the list of services to restart on one
> > 80x25 screen, which would be very important.  I just checked that with
> > podebconf-display-po (after receiving a mail on debian-l10n-german
> > from a user who complained about the German text being too long).

> Seconded. Steve, does the English template fit completely in a 80x25 screen?

The template does (and that should be 80x24, not 80x25, for compatibility
with xterm defaults and not just the console); the template + the list of
services to restart does not.  I wasn't happy with this, but didn't see much
possibility of getting this down low enough.

But your other message made me think a bit more about this, and I realize
that the size can easily be brought down by splitting the display manager
paragraph into a separate debconf note:

- if $DISPLAY is not set in the environment, automatically include
  xdm/kdm/wdm in the service list without warning
- if $DISPLAY is set in the environment, automatically exclude these
  services from the list, but show a second debconf question informing the
  user that they need to be restarted.

Does this sound reasonable?

New draft debconf templates that implement this are attached.

Cheers,
Template: libpam0g/restart-services
Type: string
 Most services that use PAM need to be restarted to use modules built for
 this new version of libpam.  Please review the following space-separated
 list of init.d scripts for services to be restarted now, and correct it
 if needed.
 .
 Some other services such as xscreensaver, gnome-screensaver, and xlockmore
 cannot be restarted for you.  You will not be able to authenticate to these
 services until you restart them manually.

Template: libpam0g/xdm-needs-restart
 The kdm, wdm, and xdm display managers require a restart for the new
 version of libpam, but restarting these services would terminate any X
 session running inside.  Because the $DISPLAY variable is set in your
 environment, these services have not been restarted for you.  You will
 therefore need to restart them by hand before they will be usable again.

Template: libpam0g/restart-failed
Type: error
#flag:translate!:3
 The following services could not be restarted for the PAM library upgrade:
 .
 ${services}
 .
 You will need to start these manually by running
 '/etc/init.d/<service> start'.