Re: Package descriptions for sigit and ipp2p

(I am subscribed - but no problem :-)

Justin B Rye <jbr@edlug.org.uk> hit the keyboard.
Afterwards the following was on the screen:

> Christian Perrier wrote:
>> Quoting Rasmus Bøg Hansen (moffe@zz9.dk):
>>> sigit:

>> utility to change mail signatures randomly
>
> Yup...

I agree.

>>>  This small utility changes signatures in random order.
>
> This sounds as if you've got a list of signatures (a petition?)
> which sigit modifies one at a time.  What it really does is "shuffle
> the list" and pick one arbitrarily.  But does it use every single
> one of them (in random order) before repeating itself, or does it
> simply use a new random line every time?
> If the former:
>     This small utility picks signatures in random order from a list.
> If the latter:
>     This small utility picks signatures randomly from a list.

The latter is correct - an I just adopted you text.

>>>  It is compatible with all email and news
>>>  clients that use $HOME/.signature although the
>>>  signature file can be called anything. It works over
>>>  NFS and can even handle multiple signature files.
>>
>> "can be called anything" sounds incorrect to me. Let's have native
>> speakers reformulate as my own rewrite would probably be too Frenglish
>
> I don't think I'd have said it, but it's grammatical.  How about:
>
>   It is compatible with all email and news clients that use
>   $HOME/.signature, although alternative filenames can be specified.
>   It works over NFS and can even handle multiple signature files.

I agree.

>>>  The utility to manipulate signature databases,
>>>  sigitdb, is also included.
>>
>> Tha package also includes a utility aimed at databases handling,
>> calles sigitdb.
>
>   The package also includes a utility for handling signature
>   databases, called sigitdb.

Sounds better.

>>> ipp2p:
>
> Should this mention http://www.ipp2p.org?

It should!

>> netfilter extension compatible with peer-to-peer traffic
>
> It needed to be shortened, but this loses the bit that discriminates
> between ipp2p and ipp2p-source.  If P2P gets defined at the top of
> the long description I think we can afford:
> ipp2p:
>
> (Do I correctly understand that this package contains a plug-in
> library, /lib/iptables/libipt_ipp2p.so?)

You are correct.

> ipp2p-source:
> ipp2p-modules-_KVERS_:

Those are clearly better, thanks.

>>>  IPP2P is a netfilter module that recognizes peer-to-peer (P2P)
>>>  traffic. P2P raffic can be prioritized low or even blocked to
>>
>> traffic
>>
>> P2P traffic can be either blocked or assigned with a low priority to ensure....
>
> No "with"; and this order loses some of the emphasis on the idea
> that blocking is a last resort.
>
>>>  ensure a shared internet link does not get overloaded with
>>>  P2P traffic.
>
> Drop the repeat of "P2P traffic".  So that's:
>   P2P traffic can be assigned a low priority or even blocked to ensure
>   a shared internet link does not get overloaded.

That is good.

>>>  .
>>>  This package contains the iptables extension for IPP2P. You
>>>  will need a kernel module compiled from the ipp2p-source
>>>  package too.
>
> I'd have said "You will also need a kernel module compiled from the
> ipp2p-source package", but this works too.

Ok.

>>> ipp2p-source:
>>> This package contains the source for the kernel module. The
>>> iptables extension in the ipp2p package is needed for this
>>> module. Kernel source or headers are required to compile this
>>> module.
>
> A slightly odd order.  Maybe (if I understand correctly):
>   This package contains the source for the kernel module. Compiling
>   this module also requires full kernel source or headers, and using
>   it requires the iptables extension in the package ipp2p.

Also a lot better.

Thank you to your both. My next package versions will have your
changes incorporated!

Regards
/Rasmus

--
Anything is good if it's made of chocolate.