Re: [LCFC] templates://webcalendar/{webcalendar.templates}

Christian Perrier wrote:
>>>  like to automatically configure or 'other' if you don't use Apache or plan on
>>
>> s/plan on/plan/ ??
>>
>>>  configuring Apache yourself.
>
> Well, none of our native speakers have reacted on this one.

Both are grammatical possibilities, but with different overtones.

> So:
> - plan on configuring Apache
> - plan configuring Apache

The former (which is what you had in your RFR).
-- "I am planning on travelling to Debconf" means it's an intention
   that I may or may not have considered in detail, but which I need
   to take into account in my other plans.
-- "I am planning to travel to Debconf" is also possible with more
   or less the same meaning.
-- "I am planning travelling to Debconf" tends to mean that it's an
   objective for which I am currently formulating a detailed scheme.

>>>  WebCalendar is a PHP-based calendar application that can be configured
>>
>> PHP based
>
> Here as well, no special reaction from native speakers originally. So
> I tend to think that "PHP-based" could be correct. My understanding is
> that English makes a pretty wide use of such hypen-related words.

I'd say "PHP-based"; phrases used adjectivally like this do tend to
hyphenate, which is helpful when there are already compound noun
constructions floating around nearby.  However, Google shows plenty
of unhyphenated cases, and "AJAX based" seems if anything to be
commoner than "AJAX-based".  I even see a package (xtlf) claiming
that it "uses a perl based GTK+ X-based gui".
--
JBR
Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)