Re: Review project announcement

On (25/03/07 15:22), Christian Perrier wrote:
> Please find below a draft of the announcement text which I propose to
> send in debian-devel-announce to announce the official launch of the
> review project.
>
> Incidentally, I propose to give a nice nickname to the project and
> "Oxford" came to my mind..:-)...Please feel free to comment.
>
> Subject: Announcing the Oxford review project: proofreading English in Debian packages texts
>
> Please welcome the Oxford project in the galaxy of various Debian projects.

                                    ^ to the galaxy of Debian projects.

> This work is intended to last all along the etch->lenny release cycle
> and will even be a never ending project.

This work is intended to last all through the etch->lenny release cycle,
and beyond.

> The debian-l10n-english contributors are currently polishing the whole
> process and tools while work already began with a few packages,
s/began/begun/
> either packages with the highest popcon score (kdebase, xorg,
> cupsys...) or packages that recently introduced or modified their
> debconf templates (lwat, aiccu, dtc...).

I think the mail is good, however there are a few other things
that I think may be good to explain.

Firstly why we are doing this, it should be made clear that we actually
have an aim in the process. Secondly that maintainers are not going to
find us NMUing there packages to fix a typo, or to completely rewrite
their templates. Also I think it would be good to suggest that any
maintainer who is going to be doing work on their templates can contact
us to review their templates directly before upload.

I propose the following three paragraphs to be included.

The reviews are intended to check firstly the spelling and grammar of
the packages, but also to move towards a consistency in the style of the
texts. Having a group of people who are unfamiliar with a package
reading the texts can also help in flagging up areas that are not
particularly well explained, or that could generate confusion. It is
hoped that in addition to the language issues this project is tackling
we can also help to solve some usability issues.

The maintainers will be made aware of the process at all stages, and at
no point will any changes be made to their package without their
consent. It is hoped that maintainers will incorporate the changes in to
their packages as with the normal l10n process. This does mean however
that as the lenny release approaches their may be an NMU campaign for
to fix long outstanding bugs from this project. This will not be done
for cases where the maintainer actually vetoes the change though.
However, the project team would like to ask for maintainers to raise their
concerns with us so that we can work towards a compromise rather than
vetoing the changes.

If, as a maintainer, you decide to make changes to your debconf changes
at any point, you are invited to contact the team at debian-l10n-english
for a review of the changes at any time. This would help us with the
work, but also save you possibly having to make repeated changes to the
templates. This offer extends to anyone who would like their use of
English in any part of a package checked.

They may be a little verbose, please feel free to suggest alternative
wordings.

Thanks,

James

--
  James Westby   --    GPG Key ID: B577FE13    --     http://jameswestby.net/
  seccure key - (3+)k7|M*edCX/.A:n*N!>|&7U.L#9E)Tu)T0>AM - secp256r1/nistp256