Re: ... and my README file

Hi Dominic,

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 10:16:45AM +0000, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 17, 2006 at 04:34:35PM +0100, Nicolas Boullis wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Could someone please check (for correct english) the attached README
> > file?
>
> > 		Special device files and major number
> >
> > No major number has been officially allocated yet for em8300. The
> > major number 121 is currently used, but it's officially reserved for
> > "LOCAL/EXPERIMENTAL USE".
>
> 'No major number has yet been officially allocated for em8300. Until an
> official assignment has been made, the major number 121 will be used,
> however this number is officially reserved for "LOCAL/EXPERIMENTAL
> USE".'

OK, I killed the second sentence (see below).

> > If you use a static /dev, you need to know the major number in use to
> > generate the required special device files. Although it is officially
> > reserved for "LOCAL/EXPERIMENTAL USE", the major number 121 is
> > currently used by default, but you can choose any other one with the
> > major option of the em8300 module.
>
> Repetition of information above here. In the first paragraph, you seemed
> to specify that the major number 121 be used, but here, you are giving
> the user a choice. This needs to be clarified somehow but I'm not sure
> what your intent is.

This one is more correct, since it is possible the specify a different
major number. So I removed the first one and kept this one.

> I assume you're only asking for a critique of your entry in this file;
> however I note that you have an ordering issue in this file. Should your
> comment go at the bottom perhaps? Or reverse the ordering of the two
> entries below?

Well, comments about the other notes were welcome as well. But as
Brendon is Australian, I guess that his English is much better that
mine... ;-)

About the ordering, sorting by importance rather than by date sounds
sane to me.

Thanks,

Nicolas