Re: please reviex my debconf templates

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 10:07:25AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:

> # Do "your Windows drivers" really contain multiple microcode images?

It does.

> #>  .
> #>  However, because of some legal issues, this microcode image cannot be
> #>  distributed by Debian. If you do not want to download it, you can
> #>  still extract the appropriate microcode image(s) from the Windows
> #>  .vxd file, using em8300mc_ex.
>
> # What legal issues, just out of interest?

Simply that Sigma Designs (manufacturer of the chip, and author of
the firmware) did never *officially* allow redistribution of
their firmware. But they know we do redistribute it and did not object.
I don't think Debian should take the legal risk to redistribute it.

> #>  microcode images installed, then you do not need to keep these
> #>  microcode images. The extra files will then be removed.
>
> # simplify advice and use deleted, not removed
> s/then you do not need to keep these/then you can answer Y

I think Christian Perrier hates those "answer Y" (with the dialog
frontend, it's not "Y" but "Yes", and with the gnome one, there is a
box to tick)... What about "accept"?

> Hope that helps,

A lot. Thanks MJ.

Here are the updated templates, if you or anyone else wants to give
them a look.

Nicolas
Template: em8300/microcode/download
Type: boolean
Default: true
 The upstream developers have tried several microcode images and
 selected the one that works best on various cards. Therefore, this
 microcode image is probably better than the ones you can get from
 your Windows drivers. The upstream developers have made it available
 for download on their website.
 .
 However, because of some legal issues, this microcode image cannot be
 distributed by Debian. If you do not want to download it, you can
 still extract the appropriate microcode image(s) from the Windows
 .vxd file, using em8300mc_ex.
 .
 Warning: If /lib/firmware/em8300.bin already exists on your system, it
 will be overwritten by the downloaded file.

Template: em8300/microcode/download_failed
Type: error
 The microcode image was not downloaded from the upstream authors' web
 site. You probably won't be able to use your MPEG decoder card until
 you download a microcode image.
 .
 To retry, run "dpkg-reconfigure em8300" as root, or download it from
   http://dxr3.sourceforge.net/download/em8300.uc
 and save it as "/lib/firmware/em8300.bin".

Template: em8300/microcode/file
Type: select
_Choices: None${files}
Default: None
 This will copy a microcode image previously installed in
 /usr/share/em8300/ to /lib/firmware/em8300.bin and use it.

Template: em8300/microcode/delete_olddir
Type: boolean
Default: false
 Multiple microcode images seem to be installed
 in /usr/share/em8000/. Support for multiple microcode images has
 been removed from this version, so if you wish to continue using
 multiple microcode images, you will have to keep these files and
 handle the situation manually. You will be responsible for removing
 these files once you have finished with them.
 .
 Most people need only a single microcode image. If you want to use
 only one microcode image, or if you do not know why you have multiple
 microcode images installed, then you can accept and the extra files
 will be deleted.

Template: em8300/chipset
Type: select
Choices: adv717x, bt865
 Creative DXR3 cards have a bt865 on board, while Hollywood Plus cards
 use an adv717x.

Template: em8300/bt865/options
Type: string
 Options can be passed to the bt865 kernel module when it is loaded
 to control how it works.
 .
 Options include:
  output_mode=comp+svideo|rgb
 Multiple options should be separated by spaces.

Template: em8300/adv717x/options
Type: string
 Options can be passed to the adv717x kernel module when it is loaded
 to control how it works.
 .
 Options include:
  output_mode=comp+svideo|svideo|comp|comp+psvideo|psvideo|composvideo|yuv|rgb|rgbs
  pixelport_16bit=0|1
  pixelport_other_pal=0|1
  pixeldata_adjust_ntsc=0|1|2|3
  pixeldata_adjust_pal=0|1|2|3
 Multiple options should be separated by spaces.
 .
 Some sets of options have been reported to remove color
 problems. Check the package documentation for details.
 .
 Unfortunately, there is currently no way to find the right parameters
 for your card, so you'll have to find them yourself by trial and error.

Template: em8300/options
Type: string
 Options can be passed to the em8300 kernel module when it is loaded
 to control how it works.
 .
 Options include:
  activate_loopback=0|1
  audio_device=alsa|oss|osslike|none
  alsa_index=-1|0|1|2|3|...
  dsp_num=-1|0|1|2|3|...
  bt865_ucode_timeout=0|1
  dicom_control=0|1
  dicom_fix=0|1
  dicom_other_pal=0|1
  use_bt865=0|1
 Multiple options should be separated by spaces.
 .
 Some sets of options have been reported to remove color
 problems. Check the package documentation for details.
 .
 Unfortunately, there is currently no way to find the right parameters
 for your card, so you'll have to find them yourself by trial and error.

Template: em8300/no_device_creation
Type: note
Default: true
 Special device files must exist to enable access to your MPEG decoder
 card.
 .
 You seem to be using a static /dev. Special device files can't be
 created automatically because no major number has been allocated to
 the em8300 officially yet.
 .
 Hence, you'll have to choose a major number to use (121 is used by
 default, but it's officially allocated to "LOCAL/EXPERIMENTAL USE")
 and create the corresponding device files yourself. Please read
 /usr/share/doc/em8300/README.Debian for more info.