Re: Please check these templates once again

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 03:12:20PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 07:36:49PM +0200, Nicolas Boullis wrote:
> > > Two spaces between sentences.
> >
> > Is it something that everybody agrees with? I thought I read some
> > flamewars about that point, and I'd rather not change it each time I
> > ask for a review... ;-)
>
> No, not everybody agrees, but everyone who disagrees with me is wrong.
> :)

Hence I guess Anthony DeRobertis qualifies as being wrong... ;-)

> Character-cell terminals use monospaced fonts, and therefore the
> two-space rule applies.  The vast majority of debconf users do so via a
> frontend running on a character-cell terminal[1].  A graphical debconf
> frontend that wants to use proportionally spaced fonts can either just
> choke down the extra space, or apply an algorithm to collapse multiple
> whitespace characters (if it does, it should remember that anything
> indented more than one space should not be re-formatted).

Well, I'm pretty agnostic about this question, and have no knowledge of
the exact typographic rule behind this. My only concern is that I'm
pretty sure that if I implement those two spaces, someone will come and
ask me to remove those extra spaces.

If there was some kind of a rough consensus on debian-l10n-english, I'd
be happy to implement it. But as far as I know, there's no such
consensus.  One may try to have this ruled through a general resolution,
but that would be somewhat overkill... ;-)

> > > I thought Policy said we shouldn't put non-packaged stuff in /usr/lib?
> >
> > Gosh, that's something I really should check ASAP, even if I can't
> > remember reading such a rule...
>
> I could be wrong, but it's worth checking.  As I understand it,
> everything in /usr but not in /usr/local is pretty much "OS packages
> only" land, according to the FHS.

I found no reference to such a rule; only "Any information that is
host-specific or varies with time is stored elsewhere." but that's not
really relevant...

> > > The text wrapping in this paragraph isn't consistent with the others.
> >
> > That's rather odd, it looks like emacs does not want to wrap after the
> > full stop (Is it the correct name for "."?), probably to preserve double
> > spaces...
>
> Vim seems to be intelligent enough to wrap properly, in my experience.
> So is the "fmt" command.

I may have missed something, but what's the problem exactly? Don't all
the frontends reflow the text? And how would one make a difference
between single or double space if the test is wrapped after the full
stop?

Regards,

Nicolas