Re: Review of package descriptions and debconf templates

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 10:06:23AM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Package: fb-music-high 0.1
> High quality music files for frozen-bubble
> Frozen-Bubble is a free clone of the popular "Puzzle Bobble" game,
> written in perl and using SDL. It features 50 levels of 1 player game, a
> 2 player mode, and beautiful music.

It features 50 levels for single player, two player mode, and beautiful
music.

Two questions: do you need to mention that it's free (of course it's
free if it's in main) and do you need to mention perl? and SDL?

> This package contains the high quality version of the musics needed
> within the game. They feature 16-bit samples, leading to higher quality
> output, to the price of being about two times larger.

This package contains the high quality version of the music used
within the game. It uses 16-bit samples, leading to higher quality
output, at the cost of about twice the disk space.

> Package: fb-music-low 1.0.0-3
> Low quality music files for frozen-bubble
> Frozen-Bubble is a free clone of the popular "Puzzle Bobble" game,
> written in perl and using SDL. It features 50 levels of 1 player game, a
> 2 player mode, and beautiful music.
>
> This package contains the low quality version of the musics needed
> within the game.

s/musics/music. (Never add an s to music.)

> The game mainly consists of firing randomly chosen bubbles across the
> board. If a bubble hits a clump of at least 2 bubbles of the same color,
> they all pop. The goal is to pop all the bubbles on the board as quickly
> as possible.

s/2/two/ but some may disagree. Otherwise OK I think.

> You WANT this game.

I'd leave that bit out.

> Package: frozen-bubble-data 1.0.0-3
> Data files for Frozen-Bubble
> Frozen-Bubble is a free clone of the popular "Puzzle Bobble" game,
> written in perl and using SDL. It features 50 levels of 1 player game, a
> 2 player mode, and beautiful music.
>
> This package contains the sound files, graphics, levels and music for
> Frozen-Bubble.

Why's this is a separate package? Is it always required?

> Package: gnome-themes-extras 0+20030512-1
> Various themes for Gnome 2
> This is a metapackage providing some nice contributed themes for the
> GNOME desktop, most of them using vector icons for rendering.

This is a meta-package providing some nice contributed themes for the
GNOME desktop. Most of these themes use vector icons for rendering.

> Package: gtk2-engines-wasp 0+20030512-1
> A BeOS theme for GTK+ 2.x and nautilus
> This theme makes your Gnome desktop look like the BeOS system. It
> includes nice scalable icons resembling those of BeOS, and a matching
> theme for GTK+ and metacity.

This theme makes your GNOME desktop look like the BeOS system. It
includes nice scalable icons resembling those of BeOS and a matching
theme for GTK+ and metacity.

(Don't use commas before "and" usually.)

> Package: gtk2-engines-smooth 0+20030512-1
> The smooth engine for GTK+ 2.x
> The smooth GTK2 Theme Engine is a simple GTK2 theme engine intended to
> be smooth, fast, and highly configurable, to the point that it could
> eventually be capable of mimicking most, if not all, major theme engines
> to high degree of acuracy, while still retaining a small footprint.

I think this sentence is way too long. Try this:

The smooth GTK2 Theme Engine is a simple GTK2 theme engine intended to
be smooth, fast, and highly configurable. The engine could eventually be
capable of mimicking most, if not all, major theme engines to high degree
of acuracy but still retains a small footprint.

> Package: gtk2-engines-nuvola 0+20030512-1
> The blue style surf for GTK+ 2.x and nautilus
> This is and adaptation of the Nuvola theme from David Vignoni for use
> with GTK/Gnome. It includes the Smooth GTK+ engine, scalable icons for
> applications and nautilus, and a matching metacity theme.

s/Gnome/GNOME/ I think. s/nautilus, and/nautilus and/

> Package: gtk2-engines-galaxy 0+20030512-1
> Mandrake's theme for GTK+ 2.x and nautilus
> This is the Galaxy theme for GTK/Gnome from Mandrake Linux. Some nice
> scalable icons for nautilus are provided as well.

s/provided as well/also provided/

> Package: gtk2-engines-gorilla 0+20030512-1
> A yellow vector theme for GTK+ 2.x
> This GTK+ theme provides a nice-looking GTK/Gnome desktop using vector
> icons of yellow tones, which can be resized at will. This package will
> be especially useful to owners of low-end hardware (as SVG icons are
> rendered much faster than PNG ones) or high resolution displays.
>
> It also includes a matching GTK 1.x theme.

OK.

> Template: gtk2-engines/restart_gtk_apps_for_svg
> Type: note
>  You are installing one or several GTK2 themes using SVG icons, and
>  the SVG loader is not currently installed. It is OK, but you have to
>  restart your applications using GTK+ or Gnome after installation so
>  that the icons display correctly. Without that, the theme will just
>  look bad.

 You are installing one or several GTK2 themes using SVG icons, and
 the SVG loader is not currently installed. This is OK, but you will
 need to restart your applications using GTK+ or GNOME after installation
 so that the icons display correctly. Until then these themes will look
 bad.

(I'd prefer poor than bad, but maybe bad is more accurate.)

Hamish