Re: [RFR] wml://www.debian.org/international/dutch/index.en.html

Frans Spiesschaert wrote:
> At one place in the draft some sentences were so poorly formulated that
> it was impossible for you to even guess what was meant therein. I'm
> talking about the following sequence:
[...]
> Below is a new attempt:
>
> <li>Application software (po strings)
> 	coordination of the translation of the software they write, or
> 	leave it with an initiative for the translation of free
> 	software, such as <a href="https://translationproject.org/";>The
> 	Translation Project</a> or other similar initiatives. In such
> 	cases the upstream sources that are used by Debian package
> 	maintainers already come with translations included.

(All looking okay...)

> 	Nevertheless the Dutch translation of application software is
> 	far from being completed. And for some specific pieces of
> 	software Debian has to be seen as in fact the main or only
> 	upstream developer (native Debian software), so that no external
> 	body takes care of its translation.

I'd suggest shifting and rewording that parenthetical bit:

                                  And for some specific pieces of
 	software ("native" packages) Debian has to be seen as in fact the
        main or only upstream developer, so that no external body takes
        care of its translation.

> 	In case a translation was made by a Debian localisation team for
> 	a piece of non-native application software, then it is a good
> 	habit to submit the translation not only to the Debian package
> 	maintainer but also to the upstream developer.</p>

"In case" is worth avoiding; for many or most English-speakers it
doesn't mean "if", it means "to handle the possibility that".  What
you want is "In the case that/of":

	In the case of translations made by a Debian localisation team for
 	a piece of non-native application software, it is a good
 	habit to submit the translation not only to the Debian package
 	maintainer but also to the upstream developer.</p>

> P.S. Would you also be as kind (if possible) as to take a look at
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-l10n-english/2016/07/msg00005.html.
> It has another (much smaller) file for review.

Sorry, I must have mistaken that one for a duplicate via a different
list!  I'll start on it soon.