Re: Very last chance to update debconf PO translation for the package dbmail 2.2.1-1.1

(keeping the CC list, thoug all others are probably subscribed to
- -l10n-dutch)

> I'm not really fond of this push for speed. At the Dutch team, we have
> translations review procedures in place. These try to ensure a higher
> quality.

So are we, in the french team, with the exact same procedures. And,
still, we can fit in short delays when some urgency requires them.

I would really like to follow bigger deadlines, but that would mean
working on much much much more packages at the same time (I already have
something like 20 simultaneous packages under work, with the current
short deadlines) and therefore risking more mistakes. So, I just can't.

> This package will be in Lenny at first. Why can't we spare the extra
> week now to get it properly reviewed?

You definitely can.

> The argument about reaching 100%: unstable is a continuously moving
> target. Isn't it vastly more telling to be able to claim that French has
> 100% translation for Etch?

No, because it is very probably not, unfortunately (however, I can't
tell because I don't have the needed material....help for having stats
pages for testing would be appreciated). Some packages that currently
have incomplete translations for french just can't migrate to testing
for reasons outside l10n. So, if we want 100% somewhere, that can only
be for unstable.

You may find this not really important (reaching that 100%) but it is,
indeed, as I already explained you by private mail. This is more
marketing than technical work, but such marketing is important, really.

Anyway, the decision will be up to the package maintainer. I will not
NMU dbmail except if it got no update in one week or so (which is much
enough to complete a real good proofreading).

>> I attached an updated translation, it hasn't been reviewed by the rest of
>> the team though, but sending it in anyway to make that deadline.
>
> I've found 3 bugs on a cursory look. It's quite a large translation, so
> that can happen, that's why we do have these review procedures. But can
> we please follow them?

Certainly. That's the Dutch team call, by way of the translator. If you
prefer not having the complete translation included until it is
reviewed, it is your call. In such case, it could maybe be good to just
say "please note that we will take care of the update but need a longer
delay" when the call for translation is posted......that would probably
save me to send reminders and, maybe finally, convince me or the
maintainer that longer deadlines could be chosen.