Re: StrongSwan as configured on Knoppix 8.1 isn't really useful ...

On 02/19/2018 02:32 PM, Christian Perle wrote:

> AFAIK the XFRM user interface of the kernel is CPU architecture dependent.
> On a 64-bit kernel you _must_ use 64-bit userspace for XFRM. Thus the
> combination 64-bit kernel / 32-bit emulation / 32-bit userspace
> will never work with XFRM.

This would explain the observed behavior. Then the EOPNOTSUPP is correct
and makes sense. Although it is not obvious to an uneducated user like
me, what the underlying reason is. I wonder whether strongSwan and/or
one of the plugins can check that at installation time, provide a more
descriptive error message than "allocating SPI failed" or provide a
description of what can cause such an error. But maybe the Knoppix
32-/64-bit setup is - more or less - unusual and the strongSwan people
didn't considered running in such an environment.