Re: 7.6.1: How do I "roll back" video driver to earlier Knoppix?

Andrew composed on 2016-06-08 00:23 (UTC-0400):

Thanks for your help.  I studied /var/log/Xorg.0.log for both the working
and broken systems and identified the cause of the problem:  There is no
driver for my hardware in Jessie.  I tried using the driver from Wheezy,
but it's rejected (Xorg.0.log reports "ABI" version number mismatch).

I downloaded the most recent source from
https://www.x.org/releases/individual/driver/ and managed to compile it,
"downgraded" the xserver to the package from Jessie to get the ABI version
numbers to match, and it runs, but it's somewhat sluggish and glitchy:
altogether unsatisfactory.

After all is said and done, it seems that this machine is going to have to
stay with Wheezy.

And since this is one of the main machines on which I run Knoppix from my
flash drive, there's no upgrading Knoppix until I replace this machine.

Which gfxchip (according to lspci) do you have that needs a driver missing from the distro? Which driver got dropped from Jessie?

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/