Re: 7.6.1: How do I "roll back" video driver to earlier Knoppix?

Dear Felix,

Thanks for your help.  I studied /var/log/Xorg.0.log for both the working
and broken systems and identified the cause of the problem:  There is no
driver for my hardware in Jessie.  I tried using the driver from Wheezy,
but it's rejected (Xorg.0.log reports "ABI" version number mismatch).

I downloaded the most recent source from
https://www.x.org/releases/individual/driver/ and managed to compile it,
"downgraded" the xserver to the package from Jessie to get the ABI version
numbers to match, and it runs, but it's somewhat sluggish and glitchy:
altogether unsatisfactory.

After all is said and done, it seems that this machine is going to have to
stay with Wheezy.

And since this is one of the main machines on which I run Knoppix from my
flash drive, there's no upgrading Knoppix until I replace this machine.

Best regards,
Andrew

On Tue, June 7, 2016 14:00, Felix Miata wrote:
> Andrew composed on 2016-06-07 10:21 (UTC-0400):
>>> The place to start is to report your video hardware:
>>> 	lspci | grep VGA
>>> and what the software is doing (via pastebin or attachment, not copy &
paste)
>>> 	/var/log/Xorg.0.log
>>> is what we need at least to start with.
>>> Output of dmesg might be of use as well.
>> OK.  What am I looking for?
> You're looking for your video problem to go away.
>>  How can I tell which driver(s) are in use and
> You read /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
>> how do I change them back to the version(s) that worked?
> Probably by reinstalling whichever Knoppix version you were using that last
> worked. Other possible options depend on you providing the information
requested by my first thread response: