Re: Bug in Bash shell creates big security hole on anything with *nix in it

Hello Gilles,

Your mail below is kind of hard to read, the way it is formatted.
However, I understand that you mainly replaced the call of the static
version of mount.cifs by the busybox builtin mount, which may work
better. I also removed the "if" for checking the presence of
/static/mount.cifs, so that file can now be removed.

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 07:24:47PM -0700, Gilles van Ruymbeke wrote:
> Hi Klaus,
> Please find below a link to my modified init scipt:
> cf: http : / / s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/k740/init740.zip (use save as)
> They key thing is to replace the cifs mount lines as below.
> /static/mount.cifs "${NFSDIR}" /mnt-system -r -n -o
> guest,noserverino,nounix > /dev/null 2>&1  && MOUNTED="yes"
> mount -t cifs "${NFSDIR}" /mnt-system -r -n -o
> user=guest,noserverino,nounix > /dev/null 2>&1  && MOUNTED="yes"
> You may also consider adding some of the extra binaries necessary
> for the pxe/cifs boot as an alternate minirt on the dvd.
> cf: http : / / s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/k741/minirt_741.gz (use
> save as) minirt_741.tgz is also available to check the content.
> Regarding the e1000e network interface, the e1000 (without the
> ending "e") works fine. Only the e1000e have a problem.
> This is really weird and I have no clue what is the root cause of
> this problem with that specific e1000e einterface.
> Easy to chek it out with vmware using one of the following
> parameters in the vmx file:
> ethernet0.virtualDev = "vmxnet3" ==> ok
> ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"    ==> ok
> ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000e"  ==> fail
> Best Regards,
> Gilles
>
> PS: Could you please ackowledge good reception of this email as it
> seems that sometimes my email get rejected.

Acknowledged. Sorry about automatic rejections of your mails, I have a
fairly strict filter trying to cut down on odd-looking mail and spam
that somtimes may detect false positives.

Maybe kernel 3.16.3 will also solve the e1000e problem, though I did not
find any mention on this in the kernel changelog.

Regards
-Klaus