To: "Klaus Knopper" <debian-knoppix@knopper.net>
Cc: "Jim Pritchett" <jpritchett1@charter.net>; "Ilari Halminen" <ilari2000-palsta@yahoo.co.uk>; "knoppix ML" <debian-knoppix@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Monday, September 01, 2014 7:29 PM
Subject: Re: my invalidated NTFS partition

FWIW, on K740, I just had a USB3 HD change drive letters while idle, mounted, rw. I had run over 12TB testing it during about 3 weeks with no problem before today.
Drive is on a rocketfish USB3 pcie card.

On Mint 16, I had a USB flash drive rendered inoperative on shutdown.
(it has no delay from umount to power off; possible write in progress?)
Mint 16 also disconnected USB3 drives, and much more often
(every 12 hrs on the dot on an FX8, every 1-2 hours, idle or busy, on an A10)

The possible connection to this case is: 10+ years ago,
I had a UPS shut off (power was fine) during a disk write to an internal Samsung HD, Windows XP.
The drive lost its boot sector (I still need to recover the data).
K740 shuts down without the delay of previous Knoppix.
If the internal HD had partitions mounted, maybe it was still writing?
A long shot, for sure.

Is there a cheat code to force a delay on shutdown before power off?

I think some drives are lying about syncing, given the large difference I see between drives when running expand_compressed_fs, which does a data sync for every block.
(It was so slow on a Seagate HD I had to patch it to data sync every 3%)

IIRC, if a drive has many small writes pending, it may take a minute or more just to empty
its RAM cache (some flash drives now have large RAM caches now).

Hope this helps
Charles

On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 10:36:26 +0200