To: <debian-knoppix@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2014 2:13 AM
Subject: Re: my invalidated NTFS partition

Well, now there is a question what messed partions?

As the first question do use something like hibernation, when you close your
computer? Or do you shutdown correctly?

I do not really know, but It comes in mind that it was a Windows virus that caused all that. At least some of those use bootsector for loading to memory,
and using Knoppix could makes those crazy.

I would also know, could you boot to Knoppix from that USB stick? If that
works perfect, then you cannot give wrong target place.

Ilari H

-----

After almost three weeks of trying various tools, etc., I've finally managed to repair the damaged boot sector. Thank you very much to to Klaus and Costakis for trying to help. None of the linux tools I tried worked. Manually trying to fix the partition table didn't work either. Eventually, I found a Windows tool that fixed it in place. It appears that I have everthing back to normal
with all my files and data intact.