Re: Upgrade from K730 to K740 lists wrong versions of packages

Hello Charles,

On Mon, Sep 01, 2014 at 09:11:43PM -0400, Charles Evans wrote:
> After using the menu choice to upgrade my SD card with K730 to K740,
> dpkg -l lists the K730 versions of all packages.
> this is due to
> /var/lib/dpkg/status
> matching the one from K730's KNOPPIX1 cloop file.

Actually, it's the last copy in use when you install new programs. The
file system does not know that the content of
/KNOPPIX/var/lib/dpkg/status is "newer", it just follows the stack
sequence of readwrite-overlay -> readonly-data.

> As a workaround, I copied /KNOPPIX//var/lib/dpkg/status to /var/lib/dpkg/status

This will discard all entries of programs you added by yourself.

> AFAIKT everything is ok now.

Probably, unless you installed new programs on your own, in which case
the changes to the package database are lost now (i.e. the older
self-installed installed programs don't show up as installed, even if
they are).

> Is this a sufficient fix?

Maybe, but a better fix is discarding everything but your personal
settings when doing an upgrade, which is the first and recommended
choice in the Knoppix upgrade option. Then, /var/lib will simply get
re-initialized by the new system.

Merging old and new files from different installations can be
complicated. Suggestions are welcome.

Regards
-Klaus