Re: Maybe I need a better video card?

Hello Andrew,

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 04:33:25PM -0400, Andrew wrote:
> Dear Cindy Sue,
>
> > On 9/21/11, john Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:

> > For what it's worth, sounds kind of familiar here.. I stay out of the
> > exchanges here because I'm still in 6.4.3.. Hate wasting everyone's
> > time if things have already been adjusted by the next release..
> > "Choppy" is good word to express what my mouse/cursor are doing.. It
> > recently moved into double-clicking on its own as well.. Also have not
> > commented on that because it's a little pink CHEAP thing.. In thinking
> > in hindsight as I read this exchange between you all, though, same
> > mouse/cursor did work well originally in 6.2.1.. :)
>
> If you mean the mouse double-clicking on its own when you only
> single-click, that probably means the mouse button has worn out.  (And
> CHEAP mice are rated for fewer clicks.)
>
> 6.2.1 worked very well for me.
> 6.4.3 was a major disappointment in several respects.  The video behaved
> so poorly as to be unusable.
> 6.4.4 was a huge improvement.
> 6.7.0 didn't work well for me.  Choppy to the point of very, very irritating.
> 6.7.1 is a huge improvement.

Thanks for the overview. I assume this is all related to the NVidia
support with free drivers. It depends largely on the combination of
kernel (nouveau module), libdrm-nouveau1a and
xserver-xorg-video-nouveau.

A good candidate to check for support for your card would probably have
been the Knoppix 6.5 magazine edition from march 2011 including the
proprietary nvidia drivers.

Regards
-Klaus