Re: no shutdown option

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 09:23:33AM -0700, M M wrote:
>    Hello, all:
>
>    I have knoppix 6.7.0 cd installed on a usb memory stick, and have been
>    using it on a hp dv5 notebook. I have no problems with WiFi card or sound,
>    though I need to use acpi=off cheatcode to boot into LXDE, besides lang.
>    However, I don't have a battery indicator, or warning when it's low so it
>    shuts down unexpectedly; Compiz does not run (video is ATI Radeon HD
>    4200); and when trying to shutdown, there is no such option in shutdown
>    dialogue box, only hibernate, end session, suspend and change user, if I
>    remember well.

acpi=off is usually my "last attempt", since it not only disables power
management, but also changes the was interrupts are handled.

A less intrusive option you could try instead of acpi=off is acpi=noirq
or pci=noacpi.

>    Are there any additional cheatcodes I could use for compiz? Is the
>    shutdown issue related to this? What could be the best command to turn off
>    the notebook (I'm using: "shutdown -Hp now" but it leaves some vertical
>    lines on the screen)? And finally, is there any way to check battery
>    charge with acpi turned off?

It should be possible to shutdown without acpi, however, most desktops
use plugins related to working hardware power management in udev or hal
in order to handle powerdown or reboot (even if it's unnecessary). This
may be the reason why shutdown is not offered in the logout dialog when
acpi=off is active, and "sudo init 0" or the shutdown command you
mentioned above may be the only way to cleanly shut down.

Regards
-Klaus