but the cdrom _is_ on the same controller

Dear Chris,

Thanks very much for the thought-provoking suggestion.  On the first box I
checked, lspci is listing only one IDE controller.  Therefore, the hard
disk and cdrom must both be on the one controller.

This may be a good solution, anyway, however, since the cdrom is not
required for a terminal server client and, because the optical drives are
all cd readers (no burners, no dvd), they probably won't be missed.

Thanks again,
Andrew