Re: udev? How so?

Hello Andrew,

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 03:10:46AM -0400, Andrew wrote:
> Dear Filippo Valsorda,
>
> I don't understand.  What are you suggesting I do with udev?
>
> -Andrew
>
> > Udev is the way to go. (I think ;) )
> > http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html
> >
> > ---
> > Filippo Valsorda

The knoppix terminalserver client (at least the default option) runs
completely on the client side, only the base system is mounted via NFS
from the DHCP/TFTP/NFS server containing the Knoppix CD or DVD.

This means that the server does not have to export any of its drives,
and all the hardware is handled locally on the (fat) client.

udev sets up /etc/fstab for local mounts via the "rebuildfstab" script
on device detection, and this is the point where you could add a
difference between fixed disks and removable ones. They are easy to
distinguish by checking the content of /sys/block/$device/removable. If
it equals "0", it's a fixed disk.

Alternately, you could add a script that sets fixed internal harddisks
and partitions (see above) to read-only via blockdev --setro $device,
for example in /etc/rc.local on the server, which will then be executed
on the clients on boot.

Regards
-Klaus