Re: reportbug?

Hello Andrew & list,

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 05:09:39AM -0400, Andrew wrote:
> I'm glad I asked:  This should make things much easier.
>
> Is aptitude preferable over apt-get?  I have so far only been using
> apt-get and dpkg from the command line.  (I haven't been able to figure
> out how to use any of the GUI package managers.)

aptitude was recommended/favoured over apt-get as end-user installation
tool for a while by Debian, it stores some more meta-information about
packages and was supposed to be more "safe" than apt-get. From my own
experience, a very pleasant feature of aptitude is that it offers
different installation/update/removal scenarios as solution if it finds
a conflict or potential problem during upgrade or installation of new
packages. But also, it tends to rather remove conflicting packages as
first choice, rather than updating them to the same state as the
packages in question.

You can also use both, aptitude and apt-get, which is what I do.  First
I try aptitude, and if it gets out of hand with its removal
recommendations, and does not find a solution that's acceptable, I try
apt-get instead.

Regards
-Klaus