Re: Linux Kernel 64 compile on Knoppix 6.7

Hello Ming-Ching Tiew,

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 02:33:18AM -0700, Ming-Ching Tiew wrote:

> --- On Tue, 8/16/11, Klaus Knopper <debian-knoppix@knopper.net> wrote:
>

> > Do you remember which package this was? Dependencies should
> > all be
> > correct in Knoppix, I have not manually changed anything in
> > the dpkg and
> > apt database and resolved conflicts with what apt-get and
> > aptitude
> > recommended.
> >

> Sorry I can't remember what was it already. But it's not a dependency
> issue. The system resolved dependencies correctly, it just failed
> installation. There are some pre-installation check scripts which
> must be executed, and that failed before tar extraction of package
> files.

I see. Some of the post/preinst scripts in Debian are not very robust
against minor important errors. For example, some servers with
startscripts in /etc/init.d will fail installation if their scripts
cannot be stopped or started, even if they are not supposed to be run
immediately. This is very seldom, but happens. Then, it also makes
installation inside a chroot environment a tricky task.

Your workaround of temporarily fixing the postinst or prerm scripts in
/var/dpkg/info is what I sometimes do in these cases, too. Easiest way
is putting an "exit 0" on top of the script in question, and removing
this line again after installation. But you have to make sure that
eventual configuration tasks, like creation of symlinks or changes in
configuration files triggered by the script, are nevertheless completed,
otherwise the packages config may be broken.

Of course, it is good style and recommended to report problems with the
installation scripts to the packages maintainer by "reportbug", so that
it may get fixed in future versions.

Regards
-Klaus