Re: Wireless connection.

On Thursday 06 January 2011 10:35:40 __@ing-buero-unger.de wrote:
> Hallo John,
>
> do you have a good reason for not using ssh?
>
> sudo apt-get install telnetd
>
> works on lenny, but not on KNOPPIX_V6.4.3DVD-2010-12-20-DE
>
> but ssh works on knoppix KNOPPIX_V6.4.3DVD-2010-12-20-DE
> enter in console:
>
> sudo /etc/init.d/ssh start
> sudo passwd knoppix
>
> on Laptop type:
> ssh -Xl knoppix IP-LAPTOP
> xlogo  # just for testing
>
> telnet uses unencrypted connection (which is perfectly ok in
> personal LAN) but does not set the DISPLAY Variable and Xauthority
> cookies automatically. And you may enable a passwordless login,
> just by public keys:
>
> ssh -Xl knoppix xlogo
>
> will open an nice X, if keys are properly set, but that is for
> another day;-)
>
> It is ages ago since I was using slackware (30 floppies, I
> think;-), but I think they now have "slapt-get"
>
> I am not realy sure what you mean by "graphic terminal"? Kdm or XDM
> to enter your pw in a colorful Login-Window?  Or start SW like
> openoffice on the Slackwaresystem and redirect the display to the
> laptop?
>
> Happy New Year everybody
>
> Achim Unger

Actually I solved the last problem first, or rather Knoppix solved it
for me. The HP software bundle for linux required python-dev which
required other things. apt-get update retrieved every Debian
repository on earth. When I went for the python-dev a certain file
overflowe overflowed. That pointed me to an apt-get.conf file and the man
page on that was about as long as "Gone with the Wind."

So I retreated to the Knoppix menus. Found one referencing printer
configuration and voila! I was in Cups (but not in my cups though I was
tempted.) I made a few changes in Cups and now the remote printer
works from the Knoppix laptop. Overall setting up Cups on Knoppix
worked easier than the same task on my base machine.

So printing is in business. And I can sign on to the web server on my
base machine just by using the web browser and the correct addy.

Now, what additional functionality do I want? Well I would like to
sign on to the base machine from the remote machine as a user at a
graphics  terminal.

--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus: