Knoppix and knetworkmanager?

Hi all,

I am using Knoppix with a persistent home on a USB flash drive so that I can
have portable computing without carrying around a lot of hardware.

Right now it is a real pain to deal with network connectivity, especially when
using Notebooks with WLAN. Therefore I would *really* like to install and use
knetworkmanager. Unfortunately, I did not have much success so far.

Here are the steps to reproduce my problem (you can try with the standard
DVD):

1) boot Knoppix
2) open Konsole
3) $ sudo bash
4) # sed -i -e "s/netdev:x:118:/netdev:x:118:knoppix/g" /etc/group
5) # apt-get update
6) # apt-get install network-manager-kde
7) end current session (a new session is started)

Notice, that knetworkmanager shows that it has not detected any network
interface. I tried to find the cause of the problem with the following steps:

1) stop knetworkmanager (menu with right mouse button)
2) open Konsole
3) $ sudo startsyslog
4) open another tab in Konsole
5) $ knetworkmanager

Now it reads in the first Konsole tab (where the syslog output is showing):
Jul 26 23:13:37 Knoppix NetworkManager: <info>  Updating allowed wireless
network lists.
Jul 26 23:13:37 Knoppix NetworkManager: <WARN>  nm_dbus_get_networks_cb():
error received: org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo.NoNetworks -
org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo.NoNetworks.

Can anyone reproduce the problem? Is this a bug somewhere or am I doing
something completely stupid here?

Thank you very much for your help!

Greetings

Ronny