Re: Bad X

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 10:46:14PM +0200, Ronny Standtke wrote:
> Hi Felix
>
> I was also running into all kinds of weird problems with Knoppix and screen
> resolutions. It looks like the script that Knoppix uses to create the X
> configuration file (mkxorgconfig) is not really up to date with current
> hardware.
>
> I remastered Knoppix and added the attached script to the /cdrom/KNOPPIX
> directory. It basically uses the automatic configuration possibilities of
> xorg itself. This script produced *MUCH* better results than mkxorgconfig on
> *ALL* the hardware I could get my hands on.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Ronny

Thanks, Ronny, I'm very interested in the results on different hardware,
especially ver old and very new graphics adapters! :-)

2-3 years ago, when experimenting with X -configure, I had very bad
results ranging from system freezes to syntactically valid but
non-working xorg.conf configurations.

I'm currently working on a much simpler xorg.conf and mkxorgconfig which
basically only changes the main driver module, plus enables Composite
on-demand, with no modelines. But maybe, if X -configure produces better
results, I may fall back to that.

Also hwsetup will probably get replaced by a shellscript in the next
version. Probing hardware directly should no longer be necessary since
all needed information is already prepared in /proc, /sys and HAL.